Old G4 IDE hd, file transfer problems

Robn52

Registered
Hi I hope this is posted in the the correct category? I have been using a silver front G4 Mac with installed legacy OS9 (pre OSX) CAD software, the G4 died recently (power supply).

I removed the IDE hard drive and bought a usb IDE / SATA multi connect adapter to recover a few years worth of old drawings onto a legacy G5 running same CAD software and with OS9 enabled. The drive mounted and the files were copied across but the CAD software could not open the files.

Checking back in the IDE drives system folder there were no font files. The cad files all look fine, icons correct but something is missing like the connection between the files data and it's icon. Would rebuilding the desktop on this IDE drive from the G5 reconnect everything or destroy it? Alternatively I could attempt to restart using the old system on the IDE but probably running on remote drives not allowed in such antiquated Mac OS?

Don't want to trash the drive by blundering about. Any legacy Mac users remember using OS9 in emulation in the early OS X, rebuilding desktop etc who could advise?

Possibly a different usb adapter would work correctly or I need to open the drive from OS9 in Rosetta I think the emulator is?

Last edited:
I worked out my problem, I had installed an earlier version of my Cad software. The files had copied perfectly, the software just couldn't open the newer version files. DOH!!! :)

Back