old i mac

calvusm

Registered
I have an old i mac that looks like a tv that was given to me.I am trying to get it to boot up and it takes forever to do anything.then atlast i get the welcom to os 9.2 and then it takes forever to get the start up screen but when i do that is as far as it will go.they did not give me the keyboard or mouse with it so im using a usb mouse and an old usb wireless keyboard.I have never had a mac and do not know how to fix this.

It probably needs a little maintenance. You should not be using a wireless keyboard on that machine. It wasn’t produced to use wireless and you would need to install software so it recognizes the keyboard. OS 9 is like that.

Connect a wired usb keyboard to it and see what happens. Once you do, restart the iMac and hold down the shift key. This turn off the extensions and should allow the machine to start up quicker. This of course will not allow you to do much in the way of printing, internet, etc. But it is the start to checking what you have on the machine.

Did they at least give you the OS 9 disks?

As you likely have nothing of your own on this Mac, I'd advise looking for a retail copy of OS 10.4 (Tiger). Get a usb wired keyboard and a wired mouse. Install Tiger (Clean install) without OS9 and forget you ever heard of it. :)

Back