"Open with Application" problem

vickishome

Registered
Okay, I did it. I admit it. So can someone tell me how to undo it? :eek:

I selected a file, hit Get Info, found my way to the Open with Appication tab, and upon making my selection, I click on the Change All button.

Now when I click to view a movie that normally should open up my RealOne Player, instead it opens up BBEdit. :(

The file I was changing was listed as Type: HTML File so it seemed reasonable that I'd want those files opened with BBEdit. But what I hadn't expected was to have makestream.asp files ALSO considered Type: HTML File. But it appears they are because whenever I try to watch a movie on the web and the makestream.asp file downloads, it is opened with BBEdit instead of RealOne, and checking the "Open with Application" info on the file says it's an HTML File.

So how do I configure things to make makestream.asp files open with the RealOne Player while "real" html files open with BBEdit? Thank you for your help!

You might try doing a get info on a .asp file, and do the change all... It may change your .html again, though... not sure however...

I changed the get info on an .asp file (and selected change all), and everything worked just fine. Someone on another board said his .asp files were also opening with BBEdit, and he had not changed the .html files to BBEdit like I had. Since the "change all" is supposed to make the changes based on the file's extension, the changes I made to .html files should not have affected .asp files. So I suspect my change was not what affected the .asp files; it was just coincidence between the two.

Whatever the cause, changing the get info for .asp files did the trick. Thanks! :)

Back