OpenOffice 1.0

julguribye

Registered
OpenOffice 1.0 is now relased!
OpenOffice is a opensource office suite with texteditor, spreadsheet, presentation maker and graphics apps.
I have never tried it myself, but it seems good.

"To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format."

It's currently only available to Windows, Linux and Solaris.
What do you think? Will it compete with Microsoft Office? Will it be ported to the Mac?

More info
http://www.openoffice.org

It is the only serious competitor to Office. I use it on windows and it is actually very nice. The only problem is that Sun dropped support for the OS X port and released what they have to the open source community. The current OS X project lacks leadership and talent and is basically dormant. Its sad.

My only problem is that StarOffice takes over your computing environment and imposes it's own GUI (based on Windows of all things). When working with Solaris, I want to work with the Solaris CDE interface, not Windows.

Actually, when I was still on Windows I used StarOffice 6.0 Beta -- it had separate applications like any other Office suite, and didn't have that horrid GUI. Woo Hoo!

Of course, that was the 6.0 Beta, and 1. it is not available for OS X, 2. when it will be released it will only be for Windows and Sun machines and 3. it will cost money to get. :p

Hopefully the OpenOffice group will follow in those footsteps and make the apps separate. I mean, come on, I don't want to start a GUI on top of my OS, then click new, then click "Text Document" to do some word processing (Text Document is a stupid name to refer to their proprietary format, by the way. It's anything but text). The 6.0 interface was much nicer.

Euhhh, that looks nasty. I appreciate the idea of a free Office replacement, but that's way too Windoze-like.

What were they thinking?

-the valrus

That was in star office 5. In staroffice 6 (aka openoffice 1.0) they trashed that look and went with seperate apps and without all that windows-like stuff.

So, yes openoffice did trash that.

office suite that has the potential to be a serious competitor to MS Office...

ThinkFree Office looks, acts and open/saves files like Office, provides most of the functionality, and is downright cheap at $49.95 for the entire suite.

The only downside is that it's written in Java. This means that slower machines don't run it quite up to speed. But if you have a newer Mac, you can try it out. I like it. If I only needed the ability to read/write Word & Excel files, this would be my solution.

Last time I checked, ThinkFree is not native to OS X. I checked the website briefly before posting, but didn't see anything about X mentioned.

or, at least, though the wonders of Java, it is X native. It also runs on OS 8.6 and up, and Windows. Ahhh, the beauty of Java...

Ah the beauty of java. I see it shining through when I have to wait a minute to make a new document........

I tried think free and the worst thing was not the speed, but rather the fact that it would not open my office documents. They were all "too large" to be opened by think free, or we're sorry, but the item "pivot table" could not be opened. At this point I retired thinkfree.

Back