Oracle 10g available on OTN !!!

This would be a very, very good thing for corporate acceptance of Apple. Let's hope we see more moves like this, I'd love to see more Apple hardware in data centers!!

However, it brings to mind something that's bugged me for a while. Why, exactly, WOULD someone buy a set of Xserves over other solutions? Ignoring the fact that it's Apple, or that "OS X is cool", I've never understood why an IT manager would decide to buy XServe. Price? I have a tough time believing that. Overall solution? Versus IBM, Dell, HP, etc? Not likely. Services? Again, IBM, HP, etc...

What is it? Anyone have any idea how Apple's pitching their corporate equipment? Anyone involved in purchasing Macs at work for use in the datacenter? Anyone have any first-hand-experience to share here?

Ripcord said:
This would be a very, very good thing for corporate acceptance of Apple. Let's hope we see more moves like this, I'd love to see more Apple hardware in data centers!!

However, it brings to mind something that's bugged me for a while. Why, exactly, WOULD someone buy a set of Xserves over other solutions? Ignoring the fact that it's Apple, or that "OS X is cool", I've never understood why an IT manager would decide to buy XServe. Price? I have a tough time believing that. Overall solution? Versus IBM, Dell, HP, etc? Not likely. Services? Again, IBM, HP, etc...

What is it? Anyone have any idea how Apple's pitching their corporate equipment? Anyone involved in purchasing Macs at work for use in the datacenter? Anyone have any first-hand-experience to share here?
You think that a Dell with Linux installed is less expensive than an Xserve? Allow me to disabuse you of that notion. Cost out a 1U Linux-based Dell server here.

It's not that a Dell 1U server is cheaper upfront, moreso than it's cheaper to add that Dell server into a previously all x86/Windows environment, it will be cheaper for them to stay Dell in the long-run due to not having to retrain their admin staff.

The corporate probably just sees the retraining as a possible hang. Not virii, and other concerns from being on Windows. Typical of management.

I'm glad to hear this...means I can scrap the Linux/IBM JS-20 idea and move our data mining/warehousing project over to some nice new Xserves and OS X. It'll make my life SO much easier in the future.

The Macs are cheaper upfront and in the long run, even with the minimal training required to get their IT guys up to par added in. If they're familiar with any *nix networking and systems, then the change would probably be a piece of cake.

Why did this get moved to System & Software? It's both "News" (original post) and a "Discussion" (my question). Could some mod please move this back to the proper forum?

This definitely isn't "questions and problems related to running OS X should be posted here as well as those for miscellaneous software", so it doesn't belong in System & Software...

Ripcord said:

Quite simply, the other guys - Sun, Dell, IBM, HP all put a heavy premium on services that are releated to the data center. Hardware prices are also astronomical. The only hardware that even comes close to Apples is the entry level, stripped down parts. It just doesn't compare to what youget with Xserve. Apple storage is also much cheaper.
Only thing that Apple is behind on is of course 64 bit OS and apps. And Apple needs to mature a bit more before any data center adopts its technology. They're only just beginning and don't have the rep they need to get their foot in the door.

Back