OS 9.2.2 on Tiger PowerMacG4 MDD FW800

Steve Kimpton

Registered
Can anybody advise how I can load/restore OS 9.2.2 on my PowerMac please?

...Configuration PowerMac G4 MDD FW800, 1Ghz Single-processor,
2GB memory, Big HDD, Pioneer DVD-110 Optical DVD and a "standard"
DVD/CD Reader.

I didn't have any software for this PowerMac, so I bought and clean booted Tiger. BTW - I had REAL PROBLEMS getting the original Optical DVD (...which I dumped!!) or the new Optical DVD to reliably read the Tiger DVD media (or Jaguar CDs for that matter).

Solution: put the Optical DVD into the bottom bay and install a bog-standard CD/DVD reader in the top bay. The standard CD/DVD reader (...or CD only reader if your source is CDs) is much more relable at reading OS installation media.

Also, the constant "crashing" and "failures" WAS entirely due to the original faulty Optical DVD. The system (although not entirely perfect) gets better the more I use it (...and the longer I leave it turned on).

Tip - only clean install the basic Tiger System (i.e. don't tick any options whatsoever). Also make absolutely certain that the Tiger installation media is read correctly (no media "reading hesitations" at all). Once Tiger is installed correctly:-

1. Load all updates
2. then load any required options directly from the Tiger DVD media

...all this is obvious I hear you say? ...well it took me all over Christmas and new Year top sort this out...

But was it worth it? ...too right: Microsoft PC OUT Apple PowerPC In!!

...but I kept my Windows 2000 Server to run Appletalk (and share my HP LaserJet Printer) ...and YOU MUST buy a FW800 external hard disk for this configuration. My data transfer rate to the external hard disk is 2Gbytes per minute!!

Thanks Bob

...but I've read this a dozen times over Christmas and I'm still unclear as to what I need. Has anybody successfully installed OS 9.2.2 on a PowerMac G4 FW800?

Back