OS X Mail.app and MS Exchange Server...help!

vitaboy

Registered
Much to my surprised, after I updated OS X on my TiBook to 10.1.5, I found that I could connect to the Exchange server at work! So now I have no problems downlolading mail via IMAP and reading it. Unfortunately, every time I try to send email through the Exchange server, I get a "cannot connect because the recipient of the message was not recognized" or some error like that.

Does anyone have an idea for how to get the Exchange server to accept email from my TiBook? Any hints or solutions would be appreciated.

Your original post was in June, so this is probably a moot point by now....

The problem is/was in the setting on the Exchange server regarding mail relaying. Exchange has settings that can disallow any mail relaying (the forwarding of mail from one domain to another) under any circumstances, allow mail relaying only from certain machines or domains, or allow any user who authenticates to relay mail. Assuming your Exchange server uses the latter, you just need to tell Mail.app to authenticate when sending mail.

Go to Mail->Preferences->Accounts and click Edit.
Click Options under the Outgoing Mail Server menu.
Change the Authentication menu to Password, and enter the username/password combination you use through Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Yogi

Back