OS X stability

How often do your OS X machine crash?

• Once a week

• Once a month

• A few times a year

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by gdanko
Dad gum screen saver will lock up the system when I wake it up. Spinning rainbow cursor never goes away. Apple needs a "lock workstation" mode like Windows.

so, all you need to do is Force quit the screensaver, right?

try pressing the space bar to wake it up instead of moving the mouse to wake it up....it will wake up that way even if the mouse is in the 'hot corner'...

I read in the Apple knowledge base that you should set your "System" sleep to "NEVER" however you CAN allow your hard drive and monitor to sleep. Allowing the system to sleep can cause data loss which happened to me (that's how I discovered this tip). My systems have never crashed or locked up since (since October 2001).

-----------
G4/400
G4/450 cube
G4/933 quicksilver

I had occasional crashes, or are they crashes ? The main problem is when the colored disk start turning... and the software stalls. This is often with Java applications. Sometimes at power down.

at one point i did get a couple of kernel panics and i had problems logging into non admin user accounts... otherwise the number of times i had to reboot i guess i could count on two hands since i got the 867 back in 12/01

Originally posted by dtmdoc
at one point i did get a couple of kernel panics and i had problems logging into non admin user accounts... otherwise the number of times i had to reboot i guess i could count on two hands since i got the 867 back in 12/01

Just realised that we have similar gears! Except I got more RAM for the 867. At one point the price really dipped so I grabbed the opportunity to up the RAM to 1.5GB. LOL.

Whoops, my post got edited. That'll teach me to make a post after wearily explaining what CMYK is to an 'Art Director'!:rolleyes:

Slap on wrist, 2/10

I have been ready through much of this post and a question was raised in my head.

I have a flat panel iMac that has crashed twice since I bought it. Once when I was messing in Unix (which I know NOTHING about) and changed a file to try and get Maya (not legal) to run. The other was do to my broadband connection. It was not working and my computer would not stop trying to get it to log on (so it kind of got stuck and would not get out). Never had any other problems than those two, and I am not complaining.

But this is my question. I turn my computer off all the time. Some times twice a day. However, sometimes I leave it on for days at a time as well. Which is better for a computer? Leaving it on for long periods, or shutting down often? And if shutting down often is bad... How often is to often?

Thanks guys

Matthew

edit:: changed no to know

it really doesn't matter, I leave my computer on for weeks at a time sometimes, because I don't like starting up :)

It is kind of weird, because I think the biggest problem with leaving the computer on all the time is the worry of power surge that can kill a computer or destroy components like power supplies or worse, logic boards.

Other than that, I leave my computer on all the time because in OS 10, it takes forever to start up. On my Classic machines, I turn them off because they start up in 43 seconds flat. LOL.

I have installed power conditioners and surge protectors in my studio so I am not worried about power surge. But I have seen dead computers before when I was working for Apple Centre.

nah, my computer is connected to a good surge protector, I'm not too worried, and if there are thunderstorms, I turn it off :)

Originally posted by xaqintosh
nah, my computer is connected to a good surge protector, I'm not too worried, and if there are thunderstorms, I turn it off :)

I am relieved to hear that. Too many cases have come in over the year when I was there and it is sad to see so many people invest thousands on their Macs and not spend another few tens of dollars to get a surge protector! I sometimes cannot understand that. Hope you guys reading this will get some form of electrical protection for our darling machines.

back to the topic of stability. Sorry I changed the topic a little.

Back