Osx Hp Installer Not Working

jessi99

Registered
I am having printer problems on my iBook G3 running OS 10.1.5
My printer, an HP deskjet 5550 has been working fine for the last few months. But, of course, this weekend it stopped working.
I've erased the printer folder in the library and restarted. As well as unplug the printer from the USB port. And, when trying to add a printer at the print center it shows up as unsupported with a question mark.
Logic tells me that I should reinstall the printer driver. So, I downloaded the OSX HP Installer v 2.7.1 and first unintalled the drivers. Then, went back to install the drivers. However, when installing, the program (Installer VISE) gets stuck on "Items remaining to be installed: 692" every time.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Should I reinstall the OS??
I've also have Repaired Persmissions, but no results.

Go to /Library/Receipts/ and search around for a .pkg file associated with the HP printer driver. Remove it. Then retry your print driver installation.

:( I tried that and it didn't work.

And, I was wondering if this issue maybe had something to do with Word. Since, I was trying to print from word when suddenly the computer couldn't find the printer any more. But, at this point, I can't print from any other program anyway.

You need to find an older print driver to install. The Mac print system changed dramatically from OS X 10.1.5 to 10.2, with the use of CUPS in 10.2 and newer. Do you have a CD for the printer?

Back