OSX or Hard Drive? Hmmm.

Brooks

Registered
Just the other day, something strange started happening to me in OSX. It seems that any time an application (ie installers) or the finder needs to search for something, my good old Silver G4 grinds to a halt, well, not exactly a complete halt, but it may take 5 minutes for a simple search to take place all the while it takes over and there's not much I can do. When I tried to do an update of GoLive, the window comes up that says "Searching system" or something. It's looking fo other copies of GoLive to update, it basically took over my machine for a good 20 minutes before I force quite the installer. Even trying to force quit takes about 2 minutes before the window comes up and another minute before it actually quits after hitting the button.

All other functions seem to be going along fine. Copying to and frome hard drives, burning CD's, working on large files in Photoshop All these other hard drive intensive tasks work fine. It's just searches. Oh, and the hard drive goes into a repeted cycle (three reads and a click, over and over)

Anyone?

Have you checked your drive for errors (via Disk Utility where a permission fix wouldn't hurt)? If Disk Utility finds nothing, try using a more advanced application like Drive10 or Norton Utilities to see if there's anything wrong with your hard disk.

Back