OSX Server -> PC File Permission issues

jnmacuser

Registered
Hi again,

A complicated problem but might hopefully have a simple explanation.

We've got 4 or 5 Mac desktops connected via X11 to a PC server. The users then run some software located only on the PC server and edit some Excel files stored on a Mac OSX file server.

Thing is, these Excel files then loose their global file permission priveleges and can only be editted by the person who last saved the Excel file.

To get around this we can reset the file permissions on the Mac file server so that everyone can access the file again. This gets annoying though.

Apple apparently recognise this or a similar problem.

Does that problem exactly reflect my problem and will that solution be enough to save the day? Or does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with any kind of PC to Mac file permission problems?

Thanks in advance to any contributors.

Ok, it's a tough problem, i didn't really expect a solution.

Assuming that it isn't the PC that is causing the problems and that it is purely the way that file permissions are handled on the Mac server, is there any way of setting up folder permissions so that all files inside that folder inherit the folder's permissions?

I've heard of the Inherit Permissions functionality inside Workgroup Manager and this seems to be pretty ideal. Is this how most people handle file permissions on Mac servers?

Back