OSX Server won't boot on Beige G3 Server

johnwall

Registered
OK, so I see that there are problems installing OSX (and Server) on beige G3s. Fair enough. I am migrating from AppleShare IP 6.3. I have a G3 Server tower with 384MB RAM (Apple installed) and 3 hard drives on the ultra-scsi chain. Two 9 GB and one 30GB connected to an Apple installed UltraSCSI PCI card. The two 9GB were, until this morning, a mirrored array. But you can't install OSX on a beige machine without it being on a first disk partition of less than 8GB. I can do that, too. So I take one of the disks off the array and partition it evenly. I can run the OSX installer, but when I try to restart the computer in X, I get the following text in a gray, open-firmare-looking window:

can't OPEN: pci/Apple53C875Card@D/@0:5

This text writes itself across the screen several times, and then the computer restarts itself into OS9.

Wierdness personified.

I don't know a whole lot about SCSI and disk addresses, but it looks to me as if OSX can't open the disk at SCSI address 0, where the OS is installed. I know that usually you can't use 0 for a disk (reserved for the processor), but this is not the internal SCSI bus.

Any ideas?

Back