pal?

the box certainly looks like a box apple would market - but that doesn't exactly validate the rumors.

If it's a fake, then it is well done. However, if I had the chance of taking pics of an unreleased Apple product, I would make sure to get all the text and not just fragments ... Why didn't they take a full frontal? Just to increase the mistery? To avoid "cease and desist letters"?

I think it's a fake. Pic 2: look at the text on the side of the box, there's something wrong with the perspective. Also look at the lightflash on the box, if you want such light, you have to use a lightspot, not a camera-flash. And i don't think that they had enough time to install a lightspot.

I think it's made with photoshop.

here's another proof (i think, correct if my thinking is totally wrong)

proof.jpg

As far as the parallel lines, this would only be true if this picture was taken from a right angle from the front of the paper. From the look of things it appears to be taken from further to the right of the paper with the camera leaning toward the left side. The bottom of the paper will be close to parallel but not quite. The perspective skews our perception of parallel.

The picture with the flash is actually a box, which would be a glossy, or semi gloss surface. I've gotten flashes to appear like this on my digital camera, especially if I had the exposure set wrong.
What I do find rather striking about the flash is it's position, which appears to be a light source higher and further to the right.

this also could be a marketing mock up, not the final product.

Im not saying if i know this is or isnt a fake, but it COULD have some validity.

look at the box: Take for example the word "Internet" and look at the "t", compare it with the "P" from "Pal". The vanishing point of "P" isn't the same as the "t-vanishing point". "P" is horizontal, while "t" is rather leaning downwards.

I am always amused at teh confidence of posters who say something is a fake...detailing the reasons even...then something turns out to be real.

I'll go ahead and stand out on a limb and say it's real. Not because it's so artistically convincing, but because it would be the blandest fake in history if it was fake. I just can't imagine somebody going through that much trouble for such a crappy fake. I can just see some PhotoShop guy thinkg, "What's the lamest possible thing I could hoax?"

As it is, I don't even understand what this software/product is supposed to be. Is it just me?

On the other hand, why isn't it called iPal?

I guess We'll just have to wait and see... the original story from the macrumors site has been updated

Update: As best can be gathered... despite claims that "various other websites have been sent them but Apple's Legal team has asked for them to be removed" -- this appears to be untrue.

The photos did appeared briefly on Spymac.com earlier today, but were removed by the poster, and not at the request of Apple Legal.

Some point to "Coming Soon" features at .Mac describing "Access Anywhere" as possible evidence... however, this teaser has been posted for weeks and is as likely to represent the inspiration for this rumor.

Originally posted by senne
look at the box: Take for example the word "Internet" and look at the "t", compare it with the "P" from "Pal". The vanishing point of "P" isn't the same as the "t-vanishing point". "P" is horizontal, while "t" is rather leaning downwards.
Actually, I think you're wrong on this one. The "P" in the Myriad font kind of points upward, then goes down. Look here:
http://www.anim8.biz/myriadp.gif
As for the parallelism thing you mentioned before, there aren't very many perfect printing presses. ;) Everything I read on a printed page always looks a bit crooked.

My vote: real.

Think for a moment, that this really is a fake, probably fabricated in Photoshop. The person who made it is obviously very proficient in PS and knows what they are doing. Keeping this in mind, that person must be having the time of their life watching us all try and figure this out, when it's really just nice craftsmanship :)

I know I would! ;)

I wonder if I could pull this off in Photoshop.. :D It looks difficult, but it might be possible...

I really don't think this is a PS mockup now, after trying to recreate it myself.
pal_ps_mockup.jpg

It looks close... It's hard to say whether you guys would believe it or not if I posted it. Probably not.

Back