Panther Install Troubles with iBook, Please help!

Mac Attack

Registered
I installed Panther on my iBook G3 366Mhz (Indigo/Clamshell) and after the second disk finished installing and the computer restarts all I get is a blue screen. I can see and move the mouse arrow but that's about it. I can boot up from the Panther disk and I ran first aid, but it did not help. I can restart into 9.2 and everything seems to be working fine there. So I reinstalled 10.2 and when I went to upgrade to 10.2.8 I get an alert message telling me that it is not compatible with my current system. The same message comes up when I attempt to open any file ending in dmg. So I tried reinstalling 10.2 and the same thing keeps happening and now my 10.2 is messed up.

After reinstalling 10.2 I tried installing Panther again but all I get is the same blank blue screen. My last resort is to erase the HD and try installing Panther then, but I do not want to do this. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mac Attack said:
I installed Panther on my iBook G3 366Mhz (Indigo/Clamshell) and after the second disk finished installing and the computer restarts all I get is a blue screen. I can see and move the mouse arrow but that's about it. I can boot up from the Panther disk and I ran first aid, but it did not help. I can restart into 9.2 and everything seems to be working fine there. So I reinstalled 10.2 and when I went to upgrade to 10.2.8 I get an alert message telling me that it is not compatible with my current system. The same message comes up when I attempt to open any file ending in dmg. So I tried reinstalling 10.2 and the same thing keeps happening and now my 10.2 is messed up.

After reinstalling 10.2 I tried installing Panther again but all I get is the same blank blue screen. My last resort is to erase the HD and try installing Panther then, but I do not want to do this. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you!
Well, the best thing for you to do now is to backup whatever you can and format your hard disk. There's nothing like a clean hard disk. Especially when you go from 10.1 --> 10.2 or 10.2 --> 10.3 in my opinion you should definately do a complete format and then install the OS and restore your files. Even an Archive & Install would be suitable.

From what I can tell, something in your system is corrupt. This 'blue screen' you're referring to I'd be guessing is your system hanging while trying to load your login screen. If you can't backup your data, I suggest booting off your 10.3 CD, open up Disk Utility and hit that Erase button and format your hard disk (provided there is nothing super important, otherwise find some other way to grab your stuff off your hard disk).

Warning: Do not do this unless you are 100% sure!

Hope this helps somehow.

I agree: Clean install is much cleaner than anything else. :)

(You could also try to just install again... Sometimes this helps...)

Thanks guys for the info. Looks like I'm going to have to clean house and try installing Panther again. I'll let you know if it works.

Back