Panther Is Slllllloooooooowwwwwwwww

mediajuggle

Registered
I'm running a 700mhz Emac G4, with 384 megs of ram. My computer ran fine until I installed panther and now it runs like my old 400mhz G3 did with Jaguar.

It's so slow it's unsable. Is there any way to optimize this or unistall panther?

Please let me know....

My experience is that may 1GHz iMac and my 400 MHz B&W were both significantly accelerated when I went from 10.2 to 10.3.

Did you rebuild permissions ?
Did you reboot several times ?
Did you do a clean install ?

All these can help accelerate your Mac.

Do you have any background application running ?

hope you repaired permissions before installing it--sounds as if you didn't though
should always repair permissions before every update to play it safe
--clean install would be best bet--backup your stuff and reinstall clean

<Got it running on a 733 G4 and it flies baby .. it flies!.. >

How much memory do you have? I'm running on 384 but it took almost 50 seconds from the time I pressed the eject button to the time the cd tray opened.... THAT's how slow it is... will adding another 256 speed it up that much?

I must admit I didn't repair permission BEFORE installing pathner or do a clean install....... I don't have a dvd burner so backing up all of the stuff that I have installed on this computer is going to be a heartache...

My second Mac is a clamshell graphite iBook running 10.3.2 on 384 of ram and Panther is much speedier than Jaguar. I agree about the repairing permissions but you should have enough memory to make it purr.

Then do a archive & install. That's almost a clean install. There have been many, many reports that clean installing or archive & reinstall got much better results. More RAM always helps with Mac OS X. If your total now is 384, you'll love your eMac when it has 640, 768 or more (dunno what the eMac can have, though)...

<Then do a archive & install. That's almost a clean install.>

That sounds good... how do I go about doing that...
and how will it affect the files and programs on my hard drive?

I plan to upgrade the memory as soon as I refinance... lol
but until then... 384 should be enough???

mediajuggle said:
<Got it running on a 733 G4 and it flies baby .. it flies!.. >

How much memory do you have? I'm running on 384 but it took almost 50 seconds from the time I pressed the eject button to the time the cd tray opened.... THAT's how slow it is... will adding another 256 speed it up that much?

I must admit I didn't repair permission BEFORE installing pathner or do a clean install....... I don't have a dvd burner so backing up all of the stuff that I have installed on this computer is going to be a heartache...

If it takes more than 2-3 seconds, 5 tops, for your CD to come out then 1000% your eMac needs some maintenance! 1000% :)

Oh, and read my signature closely :D ;)

Running Panther on, among various other machines, an iMac G3 450 with 384 MB RAM. I noticed a significant increase in responsiveness when I went from Jaguar to Panther…

Something else is up with your system.

mediajuggle said:
<Then do a archive & install. That's almost a clean install.>

That sounds good... how do I go about doing that...
and how will it affect the files and programs on my hard drive?

I plan to upgrade the memory as soon as I refinance... lol
but until then... 384 should be enough???
Insert your original Panther install CD and restart (hold the C key at boot if it doesn't boot from the CD). After the license agreement (I believe), you should see a screen with a "Customize" button. Click here and select Archive and Install. This will move your old system to a folder called Previous System, reinstall Panther, and, besides moving a few of the Apple defaults back to their default positions, do nothing to the rest of your computer.

As for RAM, more is always better. If you can afford it and fit it, 2 GB would be awesome. But 384 is liveable, another 256 would be better. It depends on how much money you want/are able to put toward this.

I have a 700mhz emac and from my experience panther was a lot faster. so it's obviously something wrong with your install :)
I did a clean install (i.e reformated the hard-drive etc). The best way to backup all you files is buying a 40 gb iPod and put you files on that (and when it is done you can always keep the iPod). :D

Thanks for everyone's help....
I figured out the problem...
there are 4 accounts created on my machine...
the first account... I can't call it.. was always slow....
i had like every app in the doc, and a bunch of other stuff going on....
in jaguar I stopped logging into this account because it was slow...
when i upgraded to panther... everything ran alot slower in all accounts...

i decided to delete that first account... now everything else is running smoothly... and quickly.......

go figure.....

thanx again for all the help...

Panther loves 512+ MB of ram... I went with 256 for a few days, then back up to 768... its a dramatic difference.

BitWit said:
Panther loves 512+ MB of ram... I went with 256 for a few days, then back up to 768... its a dramatic difference.

It's quite true, and OS X makes far more use of the ram than OS9 did, you can actually feel the difference in just about any application.

I've got 640 meg of ram, and Adobe Photoshop feels a little lumpy at times.

I had over a gig in a one point and Adobe Photoshop just flew! But the ram module was dud so it had to go... :(

Back