Panther like a dreary day...

cocoalearner

Registered
I, personally, was thrilled to move from OS 9 to OS X. Of course, I liked the Unix underpinnings, and many other powerful features. But one of the draws was that it was so bright and colorful. It made using the computer a pleasure. The icons were bigger and more beautiful, the animation was cool. The candy drop buttons.

The white pinstriped windows and menus are great. Then came some weird, bad, demented idea... brushed metal. Ok, I can deal with Safari, iPhoto, and even iMovie being brushed metal. But the Finder window? Please. Let those of us who do not want to feel like we are in a Junk Yard have our old Finder window back. Let those who choose brushed metal have it, of course. I would not want to deprive anyone of their daily dose of steel.

Everything else, like menus et al seem to have gone from sunny and white to grey and dreary. Sure it is just the aesthetics, but that is one of Apple's fortes. The new golden lock is cool, though.

Also, the left tab in the Finder window seems to just take up space and not be useful to me. But perhaps I am just not used to it.

There are things I am excited about: user switching, faxing, expose, and many other things. Apple is getting those right. But don't remove our eye candy. I am too much of a sweet tooth.

There are such things as theme changers (haven't tried one myself, yet)... I know something like this should be in OS X by default, but if Apple dosen't offer it, someone else (third party, shareware) will... That is one of the reasons why I love the Mac platform... These kind of issues are talked about and then those with the skill to program a solution do so for the benefit of the rest of us. If such a solution becomes popular enough, Apple may eventually incorporate it into the OS...

Unfortunately, from a theming standpoint, the brushed metal appearance in Carbon apps (iTunes, QuickTime, Finder etc) is hard-coded into the apps. So there's no easy way to get rid of the brushed metal appearance in these apps. If there were, we would have seen a pure aqua iTunes a long time ago.

Back