Password as CLEARTEXT??

BARN

Registered
I have at setup with a linux server with samba, and I wish to have a networked home folder. There are several tips on the net on how to do this, and I have actually succeseed in doing it, by typing in the information in netinfo.

For example:
http://www.osxfaq.com/DailyTips/08-2004/08-25.ws

But, in all the tips on how to automount an network share, you must write your username and PASSWORD in CLEARTEXT !!! (unless you want to log on as guest)

This simply cannot be true, it is a violation of all security... Have i seriously misunderstood something here?

Is there a way to mount a volume (my home folder on my linux server), without having my password stored as cleartext ?

Why are you using samba between a mac and a linux box. It seems strange that your using a Windows protocol between two nix systems.

Try using NFS, it has more options for security which you may like.

If you are going to automount a share that is password protected, you will have to store your password somewhere.

It is quite true, and it is a good reason for not doing this - in the interests of security, it's good not to have your password lying around in clear text.

Back