Password protection

hornet41

Registered
My wife wants to keep her e-mail program from opening without a password. I've searched and can't figure out how to do it. When mail is clicked, it opens. Can password checking for new mail, but she wants the application to NOT open without a password. She is running OS X 10.5.6
Any help is appreciated!!
'Mo

it's possible, but you'll have to create a wrapper around Mail - ie a program that takes care of starting Mail.

Anyway, if somebody has access to your wife's account on the computer, they can just access the email stored on the computer itself directly in the file system - it's stored in plain text files one email at a time.

It's not that easy to implement, and the solution will depend on your wife's particular situation:
  • is she the only one using the computer
  • how secure a solution do you want
  • what kind of email account does she use
  • etc
I don't actually think the your wife's problem is that anyone can start Mail, but rather the access to the actual email itself. If the latter is the case, then the best solution will be to encrypt her local mail storage. PGP and Disk Utility can both provide solutions for that.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf solution for your problem a originally stated, but I'ld be willing to give it a try if you should want so - could be a fun project :)

Last edited:
Can she not simply lock the program so that only she can open it with a password? Granted, this means she cannot have it automatically open. However, frankly, she should have a separate user account. In that case, people should not be able to access her applications--including Mail--without being signed in.

Is she sharing her computer?

--J.D.

Back