Permanently/Automatically sharing network volumes?

jimmynot

Registered
i've got two G4 ibooks running OS X 10.3 connected to my wireless network at home and I have several folders on each which i wish to share with the other.

I've used Sharepoints to set up sharing on the relevant folders and can mount them as network volumes fine. My problem is that, since the notebooks are frequently being moved around, they're frequently being put to sleep and shut down and this causes any network volumes to unmount.

Is there a way to keep network volumes mounted/to automatically mount them when the computer they refer to is awake? It's a pain having to re-mount the volumes every time I want to access a file.

bobw said:

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion but I don't think this is the solution to my problem because:

1. As stated, I'm on a wireless network. It was my impression that when an ibook goes to sleep the airport card is automatically powered down, this means that it's impossible to use this app to wake a computer over airport because if a computer is asleep there's no way of contacting it over airport.

2. An app that wakes the other computer isn't really what i need. I don't want to be able to access files whilst the computer is sleeping. All I want is the ability to mount a folder on computer (a) on computer (b) as a network drive and then be able to sleep/shut down/reboot both computers without the volume becoming unmounted. At present, if I mount a folder on (a) as a network volume on (b) and then reboot (b) the network volume will no longer be mounted.

Back