permission problems after creating a second admin account

umbrA

Registered
hi everyone,

i have the following problem: i am on mac os 10.5.8. i created a second admin user to the existing one. i need to share files between the accounts, so i gave read permissions to the home folders for both admin accounts. now strange things show up on my original admin account:

- i cannot set start preferences for firefox. if i set a home page for firefox to start up with, it ignores it and always opens the last session that was used right before i created the new admin account

- photoshop stopped working, claiming there was a problem with the registration of my product. adobe offers a fix on their homepage, that mainly seems to repair permissions on the registration file. after installing it, photoshop starts fine, but crashes every time i try to close it.

- skype lost the abilities to send sms, trying to do so results in the error message "Can't set body of current SMS"

- moving files to the trash necessitates typing of the admin password.

a couple more applications are affected as well. it seems like the permissions of the preference files of these applications, that are probably stored somewhere in my original admin's home folder were messed up by allowing access to the admin's home folder for another admin. i've searched for the mentioned errors individually, could not find any solutions to the problems. i tried repairing permissions, of course, that didn't help either. anybody got any idea what to do? or can anybody simply tell me how to reset the permissions? maybe everything returns to normal then. help is greatly appreciated. best,

jaspeR

Back