Permissions issues osx 10.6.4

themightyacorn

Registered
Hi,

Im basically a Windows man who now has to administer a Mac / Windows network and im having a few issues with file sharing and permissions. Im using OSX 10.6.4

I have a file share setup with SMB enabled, that contains a directory 'Engineer'.

this directory has permissions set as:

drwx---rwx@ 62 SeleneMacPro wheel 2108 17 Nov 10:21 ENGINEER

0: group:everyone allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,file_inherit,directory_inherit

1: user:crew allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity

When a file is created within this directory by the user 'SeleneMacPro' it has the permissions set as

-rw-r--r--@ 1 SeleneMacPro wheel 56056 29 Nov 11:54 Kwh Consumption 2010-11ntest.xlsx
0: group:everyone inherited allow read,write,execute,append

I think this is fine as the POSIX is set by the umask and the Access Control Entry is inherited from the Engineer directory.

However when i open modify and re-save the file from a windows xp machine on the network it has the following permissions

----r--r-x@ 1 nobody wheel 20046 29 Nov 2010 Kwh Consumption 2010-11ntest.xlsx
0: user:SeleneMacPro allow read,write,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity
1: group:everyone inherited allow read,write,execute,append

The owner is now nobody, POSIX permissions have changed and an extra ACE has been added....This does not happen if i re-save the file using another Mac on the network. Only the Owner changes.

Both users 'SeleneMacPro' and 'nobody' are part of the 'everyone' group and so both should have access to the file as stated in the original inherited ACL.

questions....

why then does ownership and POSIX permissions change when accessed by the windows user but do not change back again when next saved by a the original mac user?

Why is the ACL automatically changed and the new ACE 0:SeleneMacPro...... inserted?

Why is the group 'wheel' assigned to the file?

i hope i have provided all the information you will need to help me. I need someone to clear up exactly what is going on here.

Thanks in advance,

TheMightyAcorn

Back