Photos from an iPhone camera?

bbloke

Registered
MobileGuerilla allegedly has evidence of photos taken using the 2 MP camera of the iPhone.

MobileGuerilla said:
Here's the EXIF data from one of the images:

Camera: Apple iPhone
Aperture: f/2.8
Orientation: Rotated 90 degrees clockwise
Date and Time: 2007:04:21 10:23:45
Color Space: sRGB
Tag::EXIF::0xA500: 11/5
Compression: JPEG
Image Width: 1600 pixels
Image Height: 1200 pixels

The photos were originally obtained from a Flickr page, although the photos have now been removed from that original source.

MacRumors have also cited MobileGuerilla's article, and carry their own discussion about the subject. I cannot check this for myself, but they state that they found more information about the owner of the page, using LinkedIn:

MacRumors said:
The Flickr account however belongs to an individual who can be tracked down to a LinkedIn profile which reveals that they are a Program Manager at Apple in the Consumer Electronics industry, and works directly on the iPhone.

I found, after a brief search, that cached versions of Flickr pages (here and here) don't show the photos, but (for now) show statements about the source of the photos.

Just FYI: The second "here" isn't working... But the photos look good, at least the first one. The second I guess is only bad because of the back-lit cupboard.

"What's going on? Why is my office being cleared?"

"We've decided it is best to relocate you?"

"Oh... Where to?"

"McDonalds."

Hey. I think now would be a good time to resurrect this thread. As the USA enters daylight hours how about some cool pics taken with iPhone camera??

Anybody??

Andy

Yes, I'd be quite interested to know how the quality of the photos compares with those taken using other phones.

Pictures taken, no modifications to the original photo taken. Outside pictures where taken with overcast days, no sun showing through.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    518.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    601.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    758.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    528.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    596.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 15
Cheers Scott! They look great pictures, not print quality but OK for 2MP on a phone - the weather there looks as nice as it is here.. :(

Thanks again

Andy

Really, I'm not out to bash the iPhone here. I'm just _really_ interested in its qualities and shortcomings.

The attached shot [attaching didn't work, so I've put a link to some page of mine...] was made with my Sony Ericsson W810i. Quite a small phone with a 2 MP camera (so it's not one of the newest Sony Ericsson cameras, those are better...), which has autofocus, a flashlight (a white LED, really) and a macro function. I think there's a lot less noise and the image is sharper.

http://macintosh.fryke.com/media/DSC00100.JPG

The image is of course unedited as well.

Btw.: Strictly speaking, both cameras are -below- 2 MP. the iPhone has 1'920'000 pixels, the W810i has 1'997'568. I guess "those folks" just don't care that much about being exact anymore ever since people found out their harddrives have less megabytes or gigabytes than advertised. ;)

dsc00211jo9.jpg

From my Sony Ericsson z520a, VGA camera.

I think that the quality of the iPhone pictures depends largely on lighting and whether or not your bumped the phone too much by tapping the screen.

The pictures Scott took were mainly very overcast or very florescent. As far as colour goes, the iPhone did a fairly good job, besides a green tint in a couple of the pictures.

Okay... here are two photos I took yesterday, one with my iPhone and one with my previous phone model I had until 6:30pm on Friday, the Sony Ericsson W600i, 1.2 MP camera phone. I tried to get the same "shot" in the same lighting conditions to give you an idea of what each will do. Granted, the iPhone does have 2 MP, but you be the judge. The iPhone tends to have a "blue" tent to all photos I have taken.

Attachments

• iphone.JPG
    iphone.JPG
    491 KB · Views: 13
  • W600i-Sony.jpg
    W600i-Sony.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 11
More photos from the iPhone in better lighting conditions. From what I am seeing, the closer the object, the better focused they are, the further the object, the less focused. In addition to this, the more steady the hand, the less fuzzy the pict. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    906.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 12
Neat house, neat kids.

The iPhone definitely fills the role a camera phone should: to share candid snapshots of wherever you might be or whatever you might be doing.

A phone is not intended to be a Nikon D80!

I agree Qion, a phone is not intended to by a Nikon D80.

The house belongs to my in-laws, I could not afford such a nice place. :)

I don't know, it looks fine to me. I carry a 8MP Canon SLR everywhere I go anyway, for me a camera on a phone would only be for those pub/bar pics that everyone saturates social networking sites with ("here's me with a generic drunk blonde, here's me with a really wacky guy I met, look how socially active and funky I am" etc) so its not really about quality, more about spontaneity and convenience. If the quality is that much of an issue for someone they really should buy a camera, or at least one of those camera phones where the camera is half the point, like the Sony Cybershot phone range.

What really worries me is the iPhone will be coming out in Europe probably not that long before the 1st revision is out in the States, lumping me with the old one for a two-year contract. Like being seen in public with a chunky black and white screened iPod, the shame!

Back