Photoshop - mystery color blocks

robchristianson

Registered
I'll be working along in Photoshop and all of the sudden, rectangular areas of my file become discolored in certain layers, and I seldom can get it to reverse the problem in the history pallete, or by zooming out, or turning channels on and off.

Does this sound like a tell-tale sign of data loss with a replacement hard disk in a B/W rev1 G3?

Or maybe a Photoshop CS issue?

Please help!

never seen it in CS, and i use it daily.
backup your data now, just to be safe...

sorry, don't have any other answer though.

What kind of computer do you have? How much RAM? Video Card? Knowing these details will help us answer your question.

If you are on a G3 then you are on the outer fringe of what OS X is capable of running on. As long as your video card is fast and you have more than 512 RAM, I think you should be okay.

Sounds like it's just a matter of having a computer that is a bit too slow. Do you have a firewire hard drive? You could use it as a scratch disk and greatly increase your Photoshop performance.

never seen the issue either, and i use cs a good 5 hours a day... backing up your data is a great idea at this point ;)

You might also be zooming in on a jpg file, which are "blocky" as part of their compression algorithm.

I may be way off-base, but it may have to do with the layer usage and manipulation. For instance, if you apply adjustment layers on top of pixel-adjust layers, you need to turn off the above adjustment layers to use the clone tool to avoid color distortion on the base pixel-adjust layers. Also, if you're using many masks on your adjustment or effect layers, there may be areas of 'mask overlap' that are causing color distortion. This is especially true when working on a low-resolution JPEG file, as the artifacting present in the compression may only become magnified with extensive corrections. If it were actually a corruption of the file, in 9 cases out of 10, it will appear as thin horizontal single-channel lines running throughout some layers of your file...

Natobasso said:
You might also be zooming in on a jpg file, which are "blocky" as part of their compression algorithm.
Right... You should never edit/manipulate a compressed image file any more than you should edit/manipulate a compressed sound file (MP3). Always go back to an uncompressed original to do editing/manipulation, and then re-save in the compressed format.

With that said, he mentioned layers. If it's a JPEG, then I don't think Photoshop would let you have more than one layer. (Not sure though... need to check... Maybe it will let you do it, but not re-save to JPEG without flattening the layers?)

Back