Photoshop

well, the picture is not in a 4:3 format. IIRC, MacOS X only scales background pics proportional. You can either change the pic so that it is 4:3 (best thing is to change it to exact the resolution of your machine) or you can download TinkerTool,with it you can also stretch background pics without paying attention to the proportions.

I have no clue what to do can u break it down into stupid for me? how do i know how many pixels i have? and how i put the pic in a 4:3 format

What do you mean with how many pixels you have?

Do you use Photoshop LE or a pirated Photoshop version?

ummm, ... if you measure across your screen with a ruler, measuring only the visible area, then divide by 72, that'll tell you how many ...

truly, Photoshop? yikes. 4:3 is an aspect ratio, 4 across for every 3 down, more wide than tall, by a factor of 1.25 or 1.33 depending on how you want to do the math. oi vey. Just so you don't fry your brain with information overload you may want to slow down and use AppleWorks to create your paint projects until you get a firmer grasp on what a pixel is. Learn the basics first, or you'll never really learn anything at all. I already know too many people who seem to think that knowledge is the ability to speak in buzzwords.

First, pick the screen resolution that you will be using most. I assume you know how to determine that since you mentioned resolution info. 500x546 is a totally non-standard resolution and I have no idea where you got that from! :)

Anyway. Let's say you want to use 800x600.

Method 1:
Make a new document in Photoshop with those dimensions. Now cut and paste your original image into that spot and move it around and/or resize (Command+T) as needed to make it fit as best it can in those dimensions.

Method 2:
Take your original image and choose Image/Image Size and enter 800 x 600 into the dimensions area (you may need to turn off Constrain Proportions). This isn't the best solution because it will disfigure your image since it's a different aspect ratio.

Method 3:
Open your original image and use the Crop tool with a fixed dimensions setting (top entry fields in Photoshop 6 for width/height and resolution). You'll enter 800 pt, 600 pt and 72 respectively. Now drag the constrained Crop tool over your image to your liking, hit enter and you'll have the perfectly sized image.

There's probably 43 other ways to do this, but these are the first ones that came to mind.

I also think you can pick a larger resolution, say 1024x768 and the system will scale down accordingly for lower resolution screens, though I'm not totally sure about that. Sounds right though.

I got the pixels width and height from a menu that came up when i wanted to save the document. The document i want to set as my wallpaper is simple backround color with some writing no pic's nothing.

Originally posted by ulrik
What do you mean with how many pixels you have?

Do you use Photoshop LE or a pirated Photoshop version?

Well thats a rather rude assumption to make, that he pirated it. He COULD have been using a public computer with photoshop! Ever think of that?

:p

hey, knowing eric, he could have bought the program and has the manual sitting right next to him. i agree there is no reason to confuse his ignorance with piracy.;)

on the other hand i notice he didn't answer that question about which photoshop:D

Originally posted by Joseph Spiros

Well thats a rather rude assumption to make, that he pirated it. He COULD have been using a public computer with photoshop! Ever think of that?

:p

Ever seen how Eric always tells how many warez he has? It's not hard to tell that he has no Photoshop license. If he has LE, I would have helped him, but since he proofed that he uses a pirated version, I don't see any reason to help him. Somebody who doesn't know how to get his own screen resolution and uses the full version of Photoshop...that is more than wrong. I hate it when people use warez version and then ask questions in forums. That's my attitude.
If I wouldn't know what Eric posted before, I wouldn't have asked that question, but well...we all know Eric...

Originally posted by ERICBRIAN2002
I have photoshop 6. I bought it. what is pirated? lol ed get a life your jokes arent that funny.

OK, then just read that big thing made out of paper that comes with Photoshop...it's called a manual, and it explains everything.

OK, flame me, Eric...I don't care...

yea, flame me too eric.:D

it is just about time you started doing some of your own investigating of your problems rather than expecting members of this site to them for you. My jokes have been a polite way to hint this to you. But if you want me to quit joking i will. and i will be straightforward and honest with you.

first, try doing searches of this site and others that contain information (like maybe adobe in this case) before you ask for others to help you with faq kinda stuff.

second, when people do reply, try listening and not whining that the answers aren't what you like and stop selectively hearing the parts that you want to hear.

third - learn to post in the right forums. everything you post is not a hot topic. try reading the forum descriptions to see what they are about. this will also save you lots of time since you won't have to track them down when a moderator moves them.

and if you do own photoshop, then i was right that you have the manual right there and aren't using it, aren't I? no wonder that wasn't funny to you:D

Back