Please Help Me Run A Windows Type Apllication On My Mac

lost011

Registered
hi there

long story short i have a file/software that is a .exe type.now i have tried to get darwine to run this application thinking my beautiful mac os x 10.4.9 will do the rest of the work as it does normally but hey,surprise surprise, it tells me i havent got the x11.app

now,i know that im meant to install this manually and thats what i did,i got my dvd/cd out (you know the one you get with the rest of the manual) and i installed the relevant files.

then i even restarted the computer to give it a boost,and i stil cant open my .exe file that i really really need to open.it tells me this: "Unable to locate X11.app. Make sure X11 has been installed" but i have installed it and i know this because i then went on to internet and i installed the x11 off apple site which in turn told me i have a better versioni.e. latest already on my mac. so i am totally puzzled, not to mention that i dont know anything about computers and that i really need to make this thing work.

is there anyone out there who could help me please
Nik

You might have to purchase Parallels along with a copy of Windows to run on it so that you can run this Windows app. That, or use Boot Camp to install Windows on the Mac and run it that way. Personally, I recommend the first option.

Lost011,

Let's see. Have you tried running X11 first, then running the Darwine from the x11 terminal window that comes up? I'm not a big X Window expert.

Another option for you if you have a copy of Windows: download the VMWare Fusion beta 3. Free beta! Seems to work well.

Doug

.... Make sure X11 has been installed" but i have installed it and i know this because i then went on to internet and i installed the x11 off apple site which in turn told me i have a better versioni.e. latest already on my mac. ....
The version of X11 for your computer came either preinstalled on your computer or is an optional install on the optical disc which shipped with your Mac. You cannot install the old version on Apple's website.

oh hi guys,thanks for the replies
i dont know how to run the x11 itself or darwine in it.how do you do that?

and thanks for the suggestions about parallels,thats my worst case scenario as my mac has not got intel so i cant get boot camp.

X11 is on the Mac OS install disk, but is not installed by default. With my install disk, I read the directory, found a file with "Optional" in its filename, right-clicked it and opened the package. The X11 installer was inside the package.

Without an Intel Mac, your best bet is Virtual PC. Version 7 can
still be had on Amazon, eBay, etc. Buy the version that includes
Windows XP, or you'll have to buy/install that OS separately, a
true bore.

Back