PLEASE HELP! share pc internet via ethernet

autumnseyes

Registered
ok so im using a windows xp pro machine that is connected to the internet via a secured wi-fi network...i have this machine connected to a powermac g5 via ethernet cable...i want to know EXACTLY what i need to do to share the windows internet connection to the powermac G5...PLEASE someone help, i have been trying for days.

Ok; so you want to share the PC's connection with the Mac via an ethernet cable? First of all make sure that the cable going from the PC to the Mac is a "Crossover" ethernet cable, not just a patch cable (Someone may correct me on this -- I'm not sure if you need a crossover, it depends on the computers' network interface)

To enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows, go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click the wireless connection, select the Advanced tab, and check "Allow other users to connect through this computer's internet connection.". That should do it for the PC.

On the Mac, go to System Prefrences > Network. Click Configure on "Built-in Ethernet" and change the type to "Using DHCP" and leave everything else blank. Restart the PC and then the iMac.

If I remember correctly this should allow it to work.

Hi there I came across this thread as I'm trying to acheive the same with absolutely NO SUCCESS! It's driving me nuts.

Our internet connection is a wireless connection. I am running Windows XP on my PC. I also Have a Mac G4 running OS Tiger and I have connected the computers together using a crossover cable. I have tried what you suggested above and stumbled at the first part.

I have right-clicked on the wireless connection and I don't have an option saying "Allow other users to connect through this computer's internet connection" in my Advanced tab. All I get is the following info:

Window Firewall
Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to the computer from the Internet.

with a 'Settings' button next to the text - clicking on that button taked me to the windows firewall settings which is switched to 'off' as I use Norton.

Can anyone please help me out?

Cheers

E

You shouldn't need a crossover cable, most Macs are smart enough to know they are not connected through a hub and can switch their network port accordingly. I don't know if using a crossover cable might cause problems.

I don't think the cable is the problem to be honest - it's configuring the PC that's the issue...any ideas?

Having tried it myself the easiest ways are to either reverse the connections so you share the Macs internet connection via an ethernet cable, or probably the best is to get a USB wireless adaptor for the Mac, the D-Link DWL22 or the Belkin F5D7050uk (3000uk) model, both are less than £20 and have independant connections.

Doesn't help with your firewall issue, but may stop you pulling your hair out trying to resolve it.

Back