Plz, help me with old 3dfx Voodoo3 4500

black_128

Registered
Hi!
I buy old videocard - 3dxf Voodoo4 4500 PCI 32Mb for PowerMac G4/450 PCI slots.
I read many messages, that this videocard has no drivers for Mac OS X 10.4.x Tiger.
But after input command: sudo nvram boot-args = "romndrv=1" it's work
It's right?

Will work videocard after input of it in 3D games, and whether there is a practice at people?

The Voodoo cards are very old and most likely do not support CoreImage in Tiger and Leopard. As it is, you would probably have to flash the card if it wasn't advertised as being a Mac specific card. Thankfully, most early Voodoo cards did have enough firmware space to allow for the Mac code, a common practice on the PC models since the Mac models were more expensive for no good reason. I've actually done this with my old Voodoo3 2000 card on an old Motorola StarMax 4000 PowerPC Mac clone from the mid-90s and it worked like a charm. Of course, this was under Mac OS 9 since that Mac clone was not supported under Mac OS X, much less Tiger.

You're probably better off finding a more current (and I use that term relatively) PCI card that supports the Mac and also is supported for CoreImage. Something from either ATI or nVIDIA would be best. Otherwise, the experience is going to be quite sluggish since the processor would have to take up the slack.

Back