PMG5 Buying Advice....help!

Pardus

Lurks: 15,289
So I pulled out my money wrapper last night and emptied the coin jars and am ready to load up my credit card and finally buy a G5 powermac that I have been holding out on for so long.

In deciding which model, I am a little unclear about the advantages of the PCI-X slots over PCI. I know that it has higher speeds and throughput but wondering what kind of difference that will really make? I think the only PCI card I would stick in there is a second video card for dual monitors. Coming from an 867 quicksilver, it will be a great boost regardless.

Also, will iDvd movies on a dual layer dvd be playable in standard DVD players or PS2?

Hey Pardus, early congratulations on the Powermac :)

Although there are countless fountains of knowledge lurking the forums at the moment, I'd recommend calling Apple 'Mac Experts' on 1-800-692-7753, I just read this on the Powermac page, saying "Need Advice on choosing your new Powermac G5?" and thought of you.

Regards,
Mo.

You might want to wait a few days before making a decision...
It looks like you're about to get an udate!

Yes, I will be waiting for the new update in the next few days. I seem to fall into the "Not yet, the next update will be soo much better" syndrome and now it has been almost 4 years since my last desktop upgrade. Now that tiger is here it will be that much better plugging it in for the first time. Will have to wait and see i guess on the new specs but apple usually makes the lower end model miss something that makes you want to upgrade to at least the middle spec.

Wait till the end of May, this way any bugs in Tiger will be cleaned up with the release of 10.4.1, and wait till the Dual 2.7's come out...

i wouldnt think so mate because the xbox has a problem playing and ripping burned cds
BUT the ps2 does read burned cds??
its probaly because microsoft are out of order

On a side note, it depends which drive you have on the Xbox, the latest Xbox systems seem to read all types of CDs fine. The oldest Xbox systems, could barely read any ripped CDs.

Ok so back on track, the new macs are here and I am questioning the value in the upgrade from the Dual 2 to the Dual 2.3?
Besides the slight bump in processor and bus, the only 2 main differences are the ram max and PCI-X. What is the real world difference between regular PCI and PCI-X. Is there any sites that will show the real benifits to that. I probably wont be adding too many cards in there except maybe a second video card or a hard drive controller to add more drives but i can also go external. so is it worth the extra bucks?

i have a dual 1.8. my ram is limited to 4gb, which in the long run (3 years down the line, for example) i can see myself easily filling with falling ram prices. with the better models, 8gb is a nice number, and takes full advantage of 64bit processing. it's one of those things you can't upgrade later on. as for pci-x, it's the difference between usb1.1 and 2.0. just so much faster, and you can acually run two decent video cards through it. top end sound cards will also benefit. if you can scrimp on other, later-on uprgradable things (hdd, ram), i think the upgrade would be nice.

or even better, sod the ram, pci-x, hdd and ram, and get a lovely 23" cinema display. worth every penny over and over again. i have a 20" and it's just the best thing in the world

Pardus said:
actually as nice as those 23" apple displays are, i am probably going to get the new dell 24".

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...8&cs=04&l=en&mnf=694&Page=productlisting.aspx

Incidentally, Anandtech did a comparison between Apple's 20" model display and Dell's 20" display.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

Yeah, they picked the Dell, but they said great things about the Apple flat-screen.

For the record, Anandtech tends to be very impartial when it comes to hardware, plus there is a review on the Mac mini from a well-informed PC user's perspective (specifically, Anand himself).

that 24" is a steal! it under cuts the 23" by $500 and adds an inch! and they both (dell and apple) get thier panels from lg/philips so it';s the same quality! bargain....

Back