popups

cleo

Registered
hi.
i don't know if this is the forum i am supposed to use, but i would like to
know if there is a popup stopper for mac computers?.......and if i am in the
wrong site i am sorry.........thank you cleo

There's a built-in pop-up blocker in both Safari and Firefox, which are internet browsers for the Mac.

Note: You can ask any question here Cleo, as long as it's not vulgur, profane, etc. :D

hi and ty qion.......i will watch what i ask ty.....but i have safari and i have it checked for block pop-up windows......but i am still getting them?.......any more
help qion?........thanks cleo

Some of the less than desirable web programmers (and marketing idiots) have figured out a way to get around most pop-up blockers. It started to happen to me about 2 months ago (Mid February) and has been getting worse recently.

They're using JavaScript embedded in Macromedia Flash elements to force the ads through...and they're proud of it. There's a site that's touting it: Due to the proliferation of Popupblockers we have altered our popup code so that if a blocker is detected a layer ad will be delivered. This will increase your overall daily impressions and revenues. (http://www.popuptraffic.com)

Somebody from MacFixIt wrote to that company complaining, here's a copy of the dialogue.

David Ourisman (MacFixIt) wrote: "I am writing to complain about the fact that you are intentionally trying to subvert web users desire not to view pop-under ads. This is a very poor business practice, and I consider any impression from an unwanted advertisement to be an inducement to boycott that advertiser."

Popuptraffic.com's response: "How dare you? Let me teach you a little something that you obviously never were able to grasp. If you go to a website and in exchange for taking what that website is providing, you are shown a popup ad, you allow the owner of the site the to recoup some of the very real costs involved with keeping a site online. By using a popup blocker, you are essentially stealing their work. You're nothing more than a common thief. Sincerely, Ron Holiday."

The problem isn't limited to Safari either...Firefox has it too. A solution would be to uninstall the Flash and Shockwave plugins, at least until Macromedia fixes the issue.

Md's right, Cleo. The blockers in Safari and FireFox are good, but there will always be those idiots that get around it. I wouldn't waste any money in an external blocking app(in fact I don't even know of one), because if these newer pop-ups are using the things that Md stated, then really even an external app would be useless.

I haven't actually come across any pop-unders just yet. No, seriously I haven't. Can anyone direct me to a site that does that? I'm keen to see first hand :).

Viro said:
I haven't actually come across any pop-unders just yet. No, seriously I haven't. Can anyone direct me to a site that does that? I'm keen to see first hand :).

www.compfused.com
www.mess.be

are two that i can think of off the top of my head. I think www.aimthings.com has them as well. They don't pop-imder 100 percent of the time but when they do it is annoying...i noticed these back in Jan of this year pop-unders coming through, thinking it was spyware on my pc but when i started getting them on safati i was like WTF?! :mad:

I'm interested, i haven't had a pop-up or -under since i started with safari (except of course ones you request - eg some real estate sites launch info on properties in a new window). I use Pith Helmet, the very clever Safari content blocker (haven't seen an advert in months, except those pesky flash ones), so maybe thats why, but none of the sites you listed gave me a popup RGrphc2.

Also, i always open links in new tabs (have bound a mouse key to apple-click), so could that have an effect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, i'm just confused as to why i never have a problem and others do.

Make sure you go into Safari preferences (under SAFARI) and click on the block all pop-ups. The default is to allow it.

RGrphc2 said:
www.compfused.com
www.mess.be

are two that i can think of off the top of my head. I think www.aimthings.com has them as well. They don't pop-imder 100 percent of the time but when they do it is annoying...i noticed these back in Jan of this year pop-unders coming through, thinking it was spyware on my pc but when i started getting them on safati i was like WTF?! :mad:

I've tried these sites, but nothing... I also use PithHelmet, it also remove stupid ads in the sites that when I connect at home and not here at work terribly slow down my browsing....

i also use pith helmet - i havent seen a single advert for anything since i got it. i can't seem to uninstall it though - it keeps on coming up with 'pithhelmet has blocks 5250 urls now. would you like to register?' i can't afford it, and it's not always that great, so i am unwilling to pay for it. i just can't get rid of it. the site shows no instructions. am i retarded?

Pithhelmet does block ALL popups, i've tried it but it cause Safari to crash a few times on me. the popunders don't "pop" all the time, only about 75% of the time...if that.

There is also a plug in for firefox called : POPUPS MUST DIE! It does the same thing as pithhelmet

I've seen a few get thru Safari and Firefox here and there. Most of the time it's a CSS Layer faking itself as a popup.

If I goto a site and get a popup, and I know that the site doesnt care if it happens (soem sites will proactively stop them), I never go back there again. Easy.

Everyting you need on the net can be found in enough locations that there is no reason to put up wiht anything like that IMHO.

If its a site I love and support, I deal with it and occassionally click thru their ads just to keep the fires burning.

Back