Possible to use a PC as a router?

Convert

Tech
Ok, problem is I get very bad range in my room. So I have to work somewhere else, but that limits me.

My sister in the room next to mine, gets good range, is it possible to share her connection via wireless?

Thanks!

If you go to System Preferences > Sharing and then click on the Internet tab you'll see that you can enable Internet sharing, if that is what you are looking for.

I think he's asking if this is possible to do on a PC. I don't think it is. I could be wrong though. (I think i spent a few minutes one day looking around my girlfriend's PC laptop for such an option, and i couldn't find it)

Ok you mean a Windows computer? PC really doesn't mean anything. What OS? If it's XP there is a tool for doing this. I can't recall whether 2000 has it, but then I doubt you would have 2000 professional at home. Otherwise, there might be a third party utility.

If you're feeling bold, do a search for "software router" you're guarenteed to run into several solutions. Software routers are a little more involved to get set up, but they're more flexible, work a lot like hardware routers, and you can easily bridge it with various wired or wireless interfaces.

I've used one years ago, when my iMac's modem just wouldn't hold a connection for longer than 5 minutes. Forgot the name, but there's so many out there you won't have trouble finding one.

In Windows, you can do it the easy way by using what's called "Internet Connection Sharing", or you can do it the advanced way by using a feature called "Routing and Remote Services". As for which OS have which options, I think it depends on which version of Windows you are using, whether it be Home, Pro, or 2003 Server. Windows 2000 (all versions) also have this ability.

As for using Win9x (which I don't recommend), there are third party options. I remember using one from AnalogX years ago.

You can also do it using any of the open source operating systems such as Linux, Free/Open/Net BSD, etc. However, this can be more difficult than doing it on Windows. Fortunately, there are free distros out there that are specifically for routing uses, such as SmoothWall.

As for hardware, what you basically would need are two network cards. One for one network segment, and the other for another network segment. The PC will do all the rout8ing between the two networks.

Also remember that most routers are basically computers that are specialized in that one job. Most of the early Cisco 2500 routers used Motorola 68000 series processors. I believe some of the newer ones now use PowerPC and some x86 solutions, but I'm not quite sure.

Back