Possible to use my PC voodoo3 in a mac?

tjkhulen

Registered
I think i heard somewhere that i can use my PC voodoo3 in my mac G4 533 mhz? What is needed to get it work in my machine?

Also now if i want to use a PCI graphic card is it just to put it into my PCI slot, or do i have to change some cables inside the computer? using a AGP card now..

thanks for any help

I doubt it'll work, or really be supported if it did work.

Stick with an AGP video card, they're usually faster and give a lot better long term use performance. PCI is more for things like ethernet cards these days.

I think it would work in OS9 with third party 3dfx drivers, but not in OS X, because Nvidia aquired 3dfx (the makers of the Voodoo 3) and discontinued the support for 3dfx cards.

pci cards needs specific drivers/firmware to function with mac/pc...

Firmware is the reason my soundblaster live! value doesn't work in my G4...

Some older ATI cards allowed you to flash the firmware to either mac or pc, depending on your preference/needs. I don't know how true this is with today's models... but I don't think you'll have much luck.

3dfx cards are the same on both PC and Mac, I think. I had a PC PCI Voodoo 2 card in my previous machine, an 8600, and that worked fine without having to do anything with the firmware on it or anything like that. So, I suppose that Voodoo 3 card will work in OS 9. Can't guarantee anything, though :)

Back