PowerBook Hard Drive Upgrading

GOATEATER

Registered
Hey there...

I'm looking to replace the 10GB hard drive in my PB Ti/400. I'm debating whether to get the IBM Travelstar 30GB (07N7354) or the Toshiba 40GB (MK4018GAP).

Does anyone know if the Toshiba will work okay in the PB Ti/G4?

Will OS 9.1 recognize it if I boot from CD and run Disk First Aid to initialize it or do I need any kind of special drivers for it?

I somewhere something about non-Apple replacement drives having problems with sleep and also having some performance issues (something about Apple OEM drives being custom-tailored to Macs from their suppliers).

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!!!!!

I've been sticking with IBM for all my clients PowerBooks. It just seemed like the best way to make sure I don't have to pull apart the same system twice (or worse lose a client :( ).

I haven't heard anything about the Toshiba drives (good or bad), but you may want to contact them and ask if there are any issues using it with a Mac.

ive been upgrading HDs on all my systems latlely ( all i need now is my 80 gig , BWAHAHA ). I havent had any problems with any HDs. I even upgraded my little sisters PBook to a 20 gig.. i didnt even look at any specs or anything like that... no drivers, no nothing... so id say it should work. but hey , i dont have a TBook so dont quote me on that :cool:

i hit New Thread , rather than Reply... hehe:p

---------------- edited by: themacko ----------------
<God Voice>Not a problem, it's fixed.</God Voice> ;)

Originally posted by GOATEATER
Hey there...

I'm looking to replace the 10GB hard drive in my PB Ti/400. I'm debating whether to get the IBM Travelstar 30GB (07N7354) or the Toshiba 40GB (MK4018GAP).

I swapped mine for a 20GB Travelstar and have reason to recall reading at the time claims that the Toshibas made less noise. This IBM drive is very noticeable when spinning in my Ti/400.

Back