Powerbook Mac OSX Install

isolder

Registered
Hi there.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to use a PB OSX Install cd to install onto a desktop computer? If so, anythign special required to do it? I know I can't use the install cd for my pb 1400 to install onto the desktop.. but am hoping I can use OSX elsewhere..

I don't know that there is a difference between CD's. (But I will try to verify this for you). I, too, use a PowerBook (but it's not new and didn't come with OS X) but I had to buy my copy of OS X off the shelf. So, at least the version I have is an all inclusive (assuming your Mac is capable of running OS X) OS X CD.

Anyone else?

All installer disks that come with laptops and desktops are SPECIFIC to that model. Always has been, probably always will be. There are a couple of things that are different for every model and, as such, an installer will be customized for it. There are also things in general that are installed on laptops that are not installed on desktops, and vice versa.

So, unfortunately, you will not be able to install Mac OS X using your laptop install CDs, and you'll have to buy a copy off the shelf.

You could try and see what happens, but I doubt it will work.

Back