PowerBook - Making trackpad button = right-click?

TommyWillB

Registered
I've configured the trackpad on my new powerbook to let me click directly on the pad.

...Is there a way to make the button under the pad operate as the ctrl-click (right-click)?

...Is there a way to make the button under the pad operate as the ctrl-click (right-click)?

Yup. Drill a hole on the CONTROL key and insert a nail to keep it pressed. Tighten as necessary. :D

How do you like clicking on the pad? Are you used to it, yet? It was too strange for me when I tried it. After a good amount of time clicking that way, please share info on its benefits.

Originally posted by Dusky
Yup. Drill a hole on the CONTROL key and insert a nail to keep it pressed. Tighten as necessary. :D...
It took me long enough to convince the boss that I needed something newer than a 9500... so let me clarify that I am looking for a "software" solution. ;)
...How do you like clicking on the pad? Are you used to it, yet? It was too strange for me when I tried it. After a good amount of time clicking that way, please share info on its benefits.
I have not had a laptop for a long time. The last one was an old PeeCee running windows 95, and that also let me tap the trackpad. So I guess it is just something that I expect a Mac to do.

I really like clicking the trackpad. I really don't like clicking the button under the trackpad... too clumbsy.

The control-click is completely lame because it requires three long fingers (or a nail) to make it work...

First of all, both Mac and PC laptops have used trackpad tapping for clicking for many, many years. My old 190 laptop (which I never use anymore) has this feature, and it came out like 8 years ago. All laptops around 10 years old or newer with trackpads have this feature.

As for control-clicking the button, I don't think you can do this. Tapping the pad does the exact same thing as clicking the button, so pretty much the only way to "right-click" is to actually right click (with an additional 2+ button mouse). I think if you nailed your control key down you would control-click all the time, which is not a good way to compute. However, you may try USB Overdrive to see if it lets you do what you want to do, but I don't think it will.

Personally, I much prefer tapping the pad over clicking a button (not just on that old 190, either, mind you). It is ergonomically easier on the wrist and it's a quicker clicker. Plus, if you compute with your left (for righties) hand on the keyboard as I do, control is right under your fingers, even if it's not as good a solution as right-clicking. (This is an issue I think Apple should address. We should have the option to buy a Mac with a single-button mouse or a multi-button mouse with a scroll wheel. Charging $60-ish for a single-button optical mouse, even one as cool as the Apple Desktop Pro mouse, is simply absurd when decent multi-button optical mice cost $20 or so.)

I think if you nailed your control key down you would control-click all the time, which is not a good way to compute.

Heh. I was kidding. I promise.

I much prefer tapping the pad over clicking a button (not just on that old 190, either, mind you). It is ergonomically easier on the wrist and it's a quicker clicker.

Are we talking about any button, including the trackpad button? If so, which finger do you employ to click the trackpad button? The thumb, right? If so, I don't see how it's any different (ergonomically) to tapping the trackpad with index finger. (I'm assuming you tap with your index finger; I'm not even sure if that's the normal thing to do.) If you use the index finger to maneuver the pointer, your thumb is already over the trackpad button, and you can use it to click the trackpad button, without much of an effort.

Sorry for redundancy: "trackpad button" everywhere...

Originally posted by Dusky
Are we talking about any button, including the trackpad button? If so, which finger do you employ to click the trackpad button? The thumb, right? If so, I don't see how it's any different (ergonomically) to tapping the trackpad with index finger. (I'm assuming you tap with your index finger; I'm not even sure if that's the normal thing to do.) If you use the index finger to maneuver the pointer, your thumb is already over the trackpad button, and you can use it to click the trackpad button, without much of an effort.

Yes, I use my index finger for tracking and my thumb for clicking the button. (Have you ever tried it with your pinky and ring finger, or anything? It doesn't work any other way.) I find that after continually clicking with my thumb, my wrist starts to feel uncomfortable, and besides, it takes more effort to push down on a button than to tap a pad. It's probably different for you, and everyone else too...

Sorry for redundancy: "trackpad button" everywhere...

Eh...

Originally posted by arden
...you may try USB Overdrive to see if it lets you do what you want to do, but I don't think it will...
Of the 268 comments posted on Version Tracker, none of them mention PowerBooks, iBooks, or trackpads...

Since this is not a USB device I don't think that would help...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey that's a cool idea... I've never heard of anyone doing it but it seems like it should be possible.

In the meantime, something that might help a little is uControl (http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/). (The trackpad scroll feature is awesome on PowerBooks/iBooks, by the way!) You can use uControl to remap your enter key to be a control key, which makes right-handed right-clicks incredibly easier.

Oh yeah, you can also use QuicKeys to remap your enter key to be right-click, so it's even one step easier. Still not what you're asking for but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Originally posted by jeb1138
Oh yeah, you can also use QuicKeys to remap your enter key to be right-click, so it's even one step easier.

Or possibly even your right Command key. Play around, see what rubs you right... :) I made a funny :)

Back