Powerbook Sleep Disorder

karlstover

Registered
I have a Powerbook 1.67ghz PowerPC G4 laptop purchased in March. I am running OS X 10.3.9. I have had zero problems until recently. Without warning the computer will put itself to sleep. It is slightly warm, but not excessive.

I have read about a narcoleptic type senerio with this computer that may be related to a faulty temperature gauge. However, I have read that most have not had any luck when they have sent their laptops in for repair with similar problems.

Is this a common problem? Can it be remedied or should I say will it be remedied?

I had the same problem with my 1.67(PC2700 version)

I ran the Diag CD and it came back with a crazy error that involved "trackpad" (but i forget what the exact error was)
When I called apple, the tech had me read him the warning a couple of times to make sure he was writing it down properly because he had "never heard that one."

Check your logs(Apps/utils/console.app, file->open system) and search for instances of it complaining that it was too hot and was going in for "emergancy sleep"

Also there is a widget out there(i can't rember tha name) that reads you temp sensor info. Check to see if they are reading crazy impossible high, When Mine was bad it told me my trackpad was aroung 400F degrees!

**edit**
I forgot to say they fixed mine in a week
**edit**

I opened the system log and found: localhost kernel: Power Management received emergency overtemp signal. Going to sleep.[HCIController][setPowerState] 1 (ignore=0)

Thats what I was getting, run the apple hardware test, It picked up the problem.

I had my powerbook back in a week. :)

Back