Powerbook stuck on startup screen...HELP!!!

yukonbfo

Registered
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 2 year old 15" Powerbook, and for the past two days, my laptop has not correctly or completely booted up no matter what I have tried. I've manually shut down (holding the power button for 2-3 seconds) and restarted it over two dozen times, to no avail. The best result I got so far was to leave it alone for an hour, then come back and immediately run Norton's before doing anything else...only it got a quarter of the way through and the computer just slowed to a halt...I could move the cursor but nothing would select or switch between programs.

Now, it can't even get past the grey Apple screen. I tried refreshing the PRAM with the command-option-P-R trick when restarting, but never got the second start-up noise that you're supposed to hear. I leave the computer on for hours, and it never gets past the grey screen. Ideas?

Interestingly enough, the computer is making two distinct noises. One is the regular click/hum of the HD when its thinking hard, the other sounds like its coming from the CD-ROM drive. I'd liken it to a very old, very slow disk drive from the IIc era...the sound those used to make when reading a floppy.

As far as I can remember, there is not a CD or DVD in the drive. I haven't been doing anything out of the ordinary with the computer, and it was working two days ago.

PLEASE. ANY IDEAS?

Many thanks!

Which system do you have there? 10.4.x, 10.3.x, .. ?
How much empty space do/did you have on the laptop?
Have you tried safe boot? (holding shift-key down after startup chime)

I'm running 10.3

Tried rebooting in safe mode, to no avail. interestingly though, instead of the grey apple screen with the counter-clockwise spinning burst, I just got the grey apple.

No he has been waiting, staring at the Spinning Beachball, for the last two and a half years. . . .

:)

Now, can you give your Machine specifications? Model, OS, RAM, HD?

Thanks!

--J.D.

Hey Doc!

It is a Mac Power Book G4 which I bought a couple of years ago and when I recently downloaded an apple software security upgrade and re-booted the machine did not re-boot.

I have tried to restart it and have done almost everything I can think of. I did get it into safe mode and tried to re-install OsX but now all that I get is the blue screen of death and I am concerned that this may indeed be curtains for the machine as nothing I do now seems to work. It will now no longer even go to safe mode.

Back