Preview Problem

jaydeep

Registered
i recently upgraded from X.4.1 to X.4.2 from the net. After that I can not open Preview. Error message says preview quit unexpectedly. try again option does not work. error report was sent to Mac. How do I fix this?

Trash the preference file for preview. In Tiger you can use spotlight to search for it.
/Users/YOURNAME/Library/Preferences. The file is: com.Apple.Preview.plist

You must have not practiced the 'Safe Mac Update' rule ...

01. Before installing any Apple update(s) - launch 'Disk Utility' ('/Applications/Utilities/' folder) and perform a 'Repair Disk Permissions', a minimum of once. Some prefer booting from the Installation CD / DVD and performing a 'Disk Utility' 'Repair Disk', and then a 'Repair Disk Permissions' (or two), on the boot hard disk drive.
02. Install the Update(s).
03. After installing any Apple update(s) - launch 'Disk Utility' and perform a 'Repair Disk Permissions' a minimum of once.

And yes, sometimes - moving to the 'Desktop', or deleting, the respective Application's preferences file, does solve a 'failed to launch' problem.

For now - launch 'Disk Utility', and do a 'Repair Disk Permission' or two.

I tried both the above mentioned methods. It did not work. fortunately I had a back up of applications a DVD. I deleted preview from my hard disk and copied from back up DVD. It works fine.

Back