Print to Fax on HP Photosmart 3310

Richman67

Registered
Hi all,

My old scanner finally died, so I ponied up for a new AIO printer.

I have to say, HP the 3310 is pretty neat. I have it hooked up via a wired ethernet (but it has wireless built in). It is installed as a Rendezvous network printer (via a Linksys router that my PC is also hooked to)...in fact, it was almost automatic once I ran the setup utility.

Now if I hit the scan button on the printer, it will ask me where to send the scan, and shows the network name of the computers. Once selected, it gives a bunch of send to options right on the little screen on the printer. As I said, very cool.

Anyway, the one thing I can't quite figure out is how to "print to fax" from an application in OS X, like Word or Powerpoint. On the PC, I select from the printer list "Photosmart 3310 FAX", and it prompts me for a number, yadda yadda yadda, and then it sends my document via the fax portion.

Anyone have any idea how to do this on OS X 10.3? I can't seem to find a way to get the printer to show up in the FAX list.

Thanks!

Richman

Print to FAX is not a way to print to your local AIO. It is a way to send your output to a FAX machine down the hall or around the world. FAXing is explicitly supported by MacOS X. You need a FAX modem (internal or external) and to be connected to an analog telephone line. MacOS X has a built-in FAX print driver or you can use a third-party driver such as FAXstf. [There are also some available Internet-based FAX services.] Once you setup the FAX driver in Printer Setup Utility, FAXing is almost as easy as selecting Fax Print from your printer list popup menu in the File/Print dialog box.

Hi MM,

Yes, I understand that is not the way to print to the AIO. Instead, what I am talking about is sending a file to the AIO to be faxed, rather than printed.

In PC land, when I print a file, I can choose "Photosmart 3310" in the printer dialog and it prints normally, OR I can choose "Photosmart 3310 FAX", and when I hit print, it initiates a FAX dialog, where I can enter the phone #, coversheet, etc. When done, I hit send, and the AIO dials out and transmits the document as a FAX.

So far, I have been unable to find any support for this on the Mac side. When in the print dialog, there is a FAX button, but I have been unable to discover a way to add the AIO as a FAX in the list with the internal modem, bluetooth modem, etc. I saw one blurb on the net that HP has yet to provide drivers for this portion, and I was wondering if this was still the case.

Thanks for the input!

Best,
Richman

Back