Printing from OSX to HP on XP

evildan

Super Moderator
Okay got all that?

Here's the profile of the macines / hardware involved.

Mac running OSX 10.1.3
Windows clone running XP (Pro)
HP LaserJet 1000 Series

I have been trying to make everything right in the world between these three devices, but with little luck.

I started by installing Mac PC LAN a few weeks ago. Once I installed and configured it, I was able to see the printer from my OSX machine. Meaning using the Print Center I could add a printer and it was on the list of printers to choose from.

But here's where my fist question lies... What Printer Model do I select? I've tried Generic, auto, and a handful of others. Do I need to have the actual HP printer description file? Does this setup only work if the printer would work on the osx machine directly?

So putting that aside for now... let's move on.

At this point I had pretty much considered my problems to be a PC Mac LAN thing. I had varified the connections between all of the devices, etc... the only thing that wasn't working was the actual printing process.

In fact when I attempt to print (sometimes) the HP will wake up and seems as if it's going to print, then it doesn't and remains inactive.

The other night I heard you could add a printer using a Samba address in the LPR settings from within Print Center, but the address format "smb://ComputerName/PrinterName/" didn't work. and besides, the printer is showing up when try to connect via AppleTalk. (becuase of PC Mac LAN).

The printer is hooked up via USB on the XP machine. I've thought of hooking it up via the parallel port option, to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone else have another idea? Has anyone gotten the Samba approach to work? I'd be interested to hear about what people have tried... etc.

I think your problem may be that HP1000 is not supported for Macintosh computers. I have check Hp website, http://www.hp.com, and there are no drivers for any Mac OS. Also, all HP drivers for mac OS X begin at the 1200 series. Thus, I don't think you use that printer with your Mac either through USB or over the network because there is no Apple driver for it.

Now if it is a model 1200 and above, then go to

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/hplaserjet.html

and download and install the drivers. Then, see if you can install over the network.

Thanks for the info... so if I'm reading this information correctly, there's no way to print to an IBM printer if it's not directly supported on a mac?

Meaning, if I can't take the printer and connect it directly to the mac and have sucess, it won't work accross the network?

Back