Printing to a Jetdirect on a limited NT network...

Tim_Mahan

Registered
I am working at Taylor University where Mac users and PC users are very split, and there is not much support for the Maclab, and I am having trouble printing to a network printer.

The network is a managed windows 2000 server, and all printers on jetdirects have specified IPs and queue names. Instead of trying to connect to the printer through samba and having to validated with the NT domain, I want to connect with raw...the standard on the jetdirect...by using LPR (I think I am getting all the lingo right, I am new to some of this). When I connect I type the IP then raw because thats set up on the jetdirect (ie 10.50.60.10/raw1) using the lpd/lpr protocall. As far as I know this should work, but when I go to print I get a first page out that has this error:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%RBINumCopies: 1
%%Pages: (atend)
%%Title:

and has a little bit more about the file I am printing then spits out page after page of nothing. I am attempting to print on a HP laserjet 2100, and I have Jag 10.2.5 I also have gimp-print and eps ghostscript installed with the newest versions.

I am unsure of whats wrong, wether it is print drivers, network issue, hardware issue or what...but I really need to have this all working before students come in three weeks and classes start. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Tim
Taylor University

Although I had my printer set up to use appletalk (on a mixed network, but no domain controller), I just tried setting it up for IP printing (same as lpd) and it worked fine. The junk you are printing is/are definitely postscript commands. So, I think the error is with your driver setup. You have to select a "printer model" that matches the printer when you Add the printer via Print Center (bottom pull-down on the dialog box). Is the 2100 series available? By the way, you don't want the "newest" version of Gimp-Print, you want 4.2.5 or 4.2.6pre1. 4.3.x doesn't work and is pre-beta.
HTH

Try looking at this:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q158/9/03.asp

Granted the doc is an older one, but the info is still valid.
Personally I have been talking to Lexmark and HP ('at some length' and with a pretty large portion of their 'assorted tech'ies'.). Both companies admit to having the 'protocol problem' listed in the MS's supp art. above - and that it is 'embedded in their printers and printboxes firmware, so that the only solution at this moment is to carefully go over your print routine(-s) and tick ASCII instead of Binary in all places possible. (Beware that f.inst. Photoshop, InDesign, Quark, Illustrator and so on, all have individual places to tick for ASCI/Binary.

To avoid 'garbled output' you have to ensure ASCII everywhere - even in the 'Save' dialog of Photoshop...

Kind regards
John Philip

Back