Privleges Problem - Please Help

sabunab

Registered
Hi people.

I wander if anyone can suggest something, Here is my problem:
I read a confusing apple document that made me think enabling the root user would be a good idea to have full access privs.....e.t.c

So I set it up, logged in as root.
while I was root user, I thought it would be a good idea to change the privliges on my system HD disk to get info/Access and Privileges/everyone - read and write.
Dont ask why?
It took a while to complete the task, and I thought oops....

then I logged in as my normal username, and when I went to launch classic, it said that I didn't have privliges - Seems I lost privlieges I had before.

Then I thought if I disabled root user, this would solve the problem.
So I logged in as root again, and changed the root user in netinfoManager to be disabled.

Then re- logged in as normal, but same issue arrose when I tried to start up classic.

I found a new apple support file called "Repair Privileges" that seemed to be the anser to my problem, but unfortunately the downloaded file would not open with disc copy - privileges error again.

So then i tried to log in as root, but It would not let me in, as if I was typing the wrong password.

And everytime I try to re- enable the root user from netinfoManager it say's i must autenticate, but does not make a difference or enable the root user.

Sorry to rant on,

Does anyone know how I can get my privieges set back to how they were before - cause Im sure it was a mistake changing the access privileges on my HD to Everyone /Read Write.

Or maybe its something else??

It would be great to try the Repair Privileges apple download, but I simply can't open it with disk copy

I would be infinately happy for any suggestions.

Steve (flash designer, London)

OK, here is what I would try...

first log in with an administrator account. Next open terminal and change the owner of the disc copy to you (chown username filename) you will probably have to use sudo, (that requires your password, not roots) so it would be "sudo chown username filename" then try opening the repair privilages utility... if that doesn't work, I feel a reinstall is in order. hope that helps...

Back