Problem in network settings & password + a finder mess!

motherbarbara

Registered
I recently installed the security update 2008. After a restart, things were a mess. The icon to connect to the internet via my external dial up modem disappeared. When I opened Network in System Preferences, I got a repeated message "Another application has changed your network settings." After exploring forums I found a fix to get rid of that problem--Went to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and deleted the following:
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist
Then I restarted and the unavoidable message about "another application" was gone. However, I still could not connect to the internet. I kept getting the message that "authentication failed." Next I contacted my internet ISP and they checked the log records. The password that the computer gave the ISP (as saved in System Preferences -Network) was incorrect. It was my password alright, but extra characters had been appended to it. On one login attempt it was the letter "p" on another it was something like "=cd."
So we tried retyping in the password numerous times without success, as well as checking and resetting the keychain. Incidentally, in the keychain the password was recorded properly.
The only way that I could connect to the internet was to delete the password completely in Network in System Preferences and then have to enter the password each time I connected to the internet.

An additional problem is with my finder window. All of a sudden it no longer has Desktop in the sidebar. The few files and the shortcuts that used to be on my desktop can only be accessed from my House/User sidebar. When I tried to go to Finder Preferences and check the place where Desktop is to show in the finder window, it won't work. I tried to move the files manually from the House/User location to the desktop but I get a message saying "the item cannot be moved because Desktop cannot be modified."

I contacted Apple Support and they were not able to help. It was suggested that I either Archive and Reinstall or begin using my clone.

PLEASE HELP!

Back