Problems with connections to 10.3.9 XServer

MickeyS

Registered
I have a problem in my school lab where the static IP address of my X Server was used by another machine or device, when I started the server I would get and error massage saying that the IP "10.36.100.5" is in use by-"device id". I gave the server another static IP address and ran the Server Setup wizard. It went fine, I was able to configure the server with the new IP address and the services like DNS, Application Server, DHCP,etc...were running again or so they looked to be, since the green light next to it was lit. Now, I went to my client stations and changed the node using the Directory Access application to point to the new server IP and/or name, created a new custom path,restarted and still couldn't log in. Now, under WorkGroup Manager I have the option to authenticate under several directories. For example, 127.0.0.1, the server's IP address, and netinfo, which directory should I be using to configure my users and groups?I have been using the 127.0.0.1 directory, which I believe is the local directory? I am confused and maybe this is was causing the problem because if I log in as an administrator of the local workstation, I am able to connect to the server via the network. Besides using Server Admin Utility, how can I verify that the server is running properly and all the services are perfectly doing what they are supposed to do? I would love to have the stations connected again so the kids can finish their portfolios. Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to join this forum!

Couple things:

A. If you change the IP of a server, you should use the changeip scripts included in the server to properly change the configuration files.

B. To create OD users/groups that will be available to your network users, you want to create them in the LDAPv3 node. If you are logged into that server locally, it'll be 127.0.0.1, but still look for the LDAPv3 node itself.

C. Services are kinda trial and error. Take a look into the logs and see if an error pops out as being important.

Hope this helps! :)

Michael

Hi Michael,
This a good starting point, where would I find the changeip scripts to change the IP in the server? In WGM if I work remotely, let's say, in my workstation, should I log into the directory using the IP of the server not the 127.0.0.1 directory, or it doesn't matter? Thanks for your help, I'll start working on the server tomorrow morning!

Michael,
Is this what you are referring to?

To change a server’s IP address:
1-Run the changeip tool:
$ changeip [(directory|-)] old-ip new-ip [old-hostname new-hostname]

For more information or examples, see the man page.
2-Use the networksetup or serversetup command (or the Network pane of System Preferences) to change the server’s IP address in its network settings.
3-Restart the server.
Parameter Description
directory If the server is an Open Directory master or replica, or is connected to a directory system, you must include the path to the directory
domain (directory node). For a standalone server, type “-” instead.
old-ip The current IP address.
new-ip The new IP address.
old-hostname (optional) The current DNS host name of the server.
new-hostname (optional) The new DNS host name of the server.

Now my question is, where would I find the directory path of my server? I am new to networking under OS X so please be gentle!

Miguel,

No problem. We all start somewhere! :)

Yes, that is the changeip script I mentioned. The directory path is shown in WGM. If you are connected to your OD Master with WGM, take a look at the little blue globe below the Admin icon in the top menu bar of the UI. It should say something like:

Viewing directory: /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1.

That will indicate that you are looking at the LDAP server on that specific OD Master server.

Fantastic! Now I feel like I am getting somewhere. What confuses me is WorkGroupManager. When I click on the little globe to change a directory, I am uncertain as to which directory I should be logging in, either the 127.0.0.1 or the one with the server's static IP address. I can work with WGM from my workstation or from the server, which way will be the apropriate way to do it?

Well, WGM is an admin tool, so its good that you can use it remotely or on the server. I usually use the tool on my laptop and remotely administrate my servers. :)

Same with Server Admin and so forth...

Michael

Michael,

When I type the command in terminal:

I get a message that says, command not found, what did I forget to do?

Not sure...are you sure your running it on the Server itself? It also will be need to be run with sudo, but neglecting that would just return an improper permissions error.

I'm not a guru of any kind since I'm also getting to know the capabilities of the OS X Server. But I would suggest that you check you shell environment by typing:

echo $PATH

The changeip command should be found in this path if all is ok.

To verify that type:

whereis changeip

to see if it is located in one of your path entries.

As mentioned before this is just a amateur suggestion.

Regards
T

Thanks so much for your help, I needed to use the root user to do this, everything worked fine. I was able to change the IP , reconfigured the clients and I am back in business, I am so glad, I can throw a party! I didn't think I was going to pull this one! Now, I just have to find out why the users don't show up in the login window when I switch from "name and password" to "list of names". This has been bothering me a long time. Do you have any ideas?

MickeyS said:
Michael,

When I type the command in terminal:

I get a message that says, command not found, what did I forget to do?

On my 10.4.5. server i get the following message:

/usr/sbin/changeip must be run as root

If you are in the /usr/bin map, enter ./ before the command (or enter the full path).

Also give your server a static ip, which is outside any dhcp server range, otherwise you might run into the same problem again (or configure the dhcp server to reserve the ip-nummer for the server only). Using static numbering is not a very good idea, although in this case it is an absolute requirement.

Good luck, Kees

/usr/sbin/changeip must be run as root

I got this error until I realized that I had not left a space between the old hostname and the enw hostname. Simple solution, might be worth double checking the command.

A suggestion to avoid these kind of problems.

If you give a system a static IP number make sure it is OUTSIDE the range of your DHCP server. Otherwise these problems will occur on a regular base and there is a lot of work in fixing these problems.

So first change the range of you DHCP server and then assign the stic number.

Good luck, Kees

Back