Problems with smb packet signing & MS Server 2003

idesignforlife

Registered
So here'smy problem:

I am the only Mac connected to a Windows Server 2003 network. I am running OS X 10.2.6. So far I can get my email using the crappy exchange support via Entourage, I can retreive webmail and I can print to ONE printer (that for some reason, my computer thinks is a local printer).

I cannot for the life of me, actually connect to the server, which means i am unable to backup anything on this Mac. I have read at various places, that the problem is that the version of SAMBA that 10.2 has, does not support SMB packet signing, meaning that the server refuses my connection thinkng that I am a rogue computer. My network admin does not want to turn that feature off, which I can understand, so I need to come up with a solution.

I have also heard that SAMBA 3 is out now and it DOES support SMB packet signing. So is it possible to update SAMBA within OSX 10.2.x? Or will I have to wait until 10.3 comes out and hopefully they will include the newest SAMBA version.

If I am able to upgrade SAMBA, can someone give me some pointers as to where and how to do this?

Thanks a lot everyone!

C

I am not sure how to upgrade the Mac but you can disable signing on the 2003 box.

The fix for file sharing turned out to be that Windows Server 2003 now digitally signs all SMB packets to prevent "man in the middle" attacks that intercept and modify packets. This feature breaks compatibility with all Samba versions prior to 3.0 (still in beta), which includes Apple's Windows file sharing (currently based on Samba 2.2.3a). So to allow Mac, Linux and other clients to connect to shares on a 2003 box, you (or your Windows server admin) will have to disable digital signing of SMB packets in the appropriate local or group permissions area depending on your server setup. After that, the old Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server... works like a charm. Whenever Samba 3.0 becomes stable enough for Apple to use it, you may want to turn packet-signing back on again.)

Back