PS3 EyeToy vs. built-in iSight? Do I have a choice??

alra111

Registered
I just hooked up the EyeToy from PlayStation to my iMac. I may be mistaken but I recall it having better stats than the built-in iSight. How do I tell the machine I want to us EyeToy and not the built-in iSight? I.e. for imovie HD, Final Cut Express, Photo Booth?

Or am I condemened to use the built-in iSight only!?!

Thanks for any help,
Alra111

PS: Check it out http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/

but I recall it having better stats than the built-in iSight

They both shoot at the same resolution (640x480) and both have fairly comparable lenses and sensors. Their sensors are equivalent in size and sensitivity, although the PlaystationEye (as it is now called) has two different switchable focal lengths which would be quite useful.

As far as I can see Sony have not released a driver for the Playstation Eye on anything other than PS3, and it has been made to work on Windows and Linux only because of the determined hacking efforts of a few individuals.

actually, apple's more recent iSight's have been full 1.3mp 1280x960 sensors, so are therefore far superior to the Eye.

what you will also find is that all that effort would result in not much gain... the iSight has a very great strength in that it's part of apple's closed loop compatibility, and as such, is very easy to use.

if you want more creative control, the Eye is hardly ideal, being actually quite an average webcam at best. step up and invest in a firewire compatible camcorder, iMovie, Final Cut etc all support firewire camcorders thoroughly.

Back