Question About boot camp

nicu420yem

Registered
So I have boot camp on my macbook and I sometimes find myself spending more time having to use windows than mac at work. However I still need to access mac sometimes. I was wondering if there is a virtual os that supports me running my mac as a virtual desktop through windows

No, but you could install Parallels and have access to both Mac OS X and Windows at the same time. Just make sure you have enough memory to support running both smoothly. I recommend 4–6GB. What all are you doing in Windows?

Running Visual Studio....I tried Parallels and VMware to run them before and couldn't get figure it out...So I resorted to Boot Camp. I couldn't figure out the settings to allow me to run Visual Studio that is

Can you elaborate on how you weren't able to run VS? How was it behaving (or not)? How much memory does VS require? What model MacBook do you have? How much memory do you have?

4 gb 1.4 ghz blackbook it was a while back but i can remember that it wouldn't let me run like apache and certain things..I'll try again this weekend and let u know of the error i got

I have a VMWare Fusion virtual machine for Windows XP with Visual Studio. The machine has two processors (my MBP has four cores, which the virtual machine sees as separate processors) with 1552MB memory and 30GB hard disk. I have to say that I normally use VS on PC, but it works just fine on Fusion also.

I'm pretty sure your MacBook Pro has only one dual-core processor. Apple hasn't introduced any quad-core notebooks yet. Only the quad and eight core Mac Pros and the new i5 iMac have more than two cores.

Anyway, glad to here it works. I'd recommend upgrading your memory and giving Windows at least 2GB of its own.

So I just returned home and I'm going to give Virtual OS another take..Which do you suggest? VMware Fusion or Parallels?

I'd go with Fusion - but you can try both. Both have a 30 day trial version, and whichever you'll go with, the VM stays, just insert the software key in the software.
If you try both, don't do it on the same time. Parallels Tools and VMware Tools don't like coexisting on the same time, so while changing the software, remove those tools, reboot the virtual machine, install the new tools, reboot the VM once more and you're good to go.

Back