Question about OSX applications

guitardude

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about OSX application compatibility. More specifically, what I would like to know is whether or not OSX applications will install and run on a *NIX operating system like Red Hat, Debian, etc.

My partner and I are looking into expanding our recording studio and are weighing our options. We know that we are going to use Nuendo for post production because one of our affiliates uses that application on the Mac platform. Ideally, what we would like to do is have a system such that a project could be transferred between both systems simply by installing a hard drive into the target system and bringing it up in Nuendo.

Since both of us have mostly Windows experience (I have some Linux experience) and also because I know that Mac OSX does have some BSD functionality, I was wondering if we might be able to buy the Nuendo for Mac software and then install it in Linux on an Intel/AMD platform. I guess the bigger question is whether or not the Linux and OSX filesystems are compatable, or even whether the OSX and NTFS file systems are compatable and whether disk drives for systems on a heterogeneous network can be accessed.

Thanks in advance for your help and/or opinions.

Regards,
-guitardude

I'm not sure if it will or won't, someone more experienced than me will probably answer that for you when they read this thread but there are always alternatives on whatever OS you choose. From a quick search on google I found Ardour http://ardour.org/ which seems like a good possible alternative to Nuendo. Good luck.

Thanks for the link.. I will look into this application as a possibility for using instead of Nuendo. I like the fact that it purports to have mastering capability in it compared to Nuendo, which from what I have read about so far, has no mastering capability on the OSX platform.

Regards,
-guitardude

guitardude said:
More specifically, what I would like to know is whether or not OSX applications will install and run on a *NIX operating system like Red Hat, Debian, etc.

Basically, no. Most 3rd party apps designed for OS X rely on the proprietary GUI interface, which isn't available for use on *nix/x86 platforms. Parts of the code are similar, but other parts are vastly different and incompatible.

Well, I think that it's important to know that UNIX and Linux are different... they have different kernels and whatnot. Also, BSD is another operating system, close to UNIX. So, if anything, I would be looking for a BSD like FreeBSD, NetBSD, or OpenBSD. But, like what was said, OS X apps are compiled for not only with OS X in mind, but also for PPC. So, even if it was the same operating system on both computers, the different architectures will be the main problem (PPC versus x86). So, I think you're stuck with using Mac OS X or getting another program that is cross platform. Good luck, though.

Back