Question about programming

McNastee

Registered
I don't know anything about programming so I was hoping some of you good folks here could help me with something that I was wondering about.

Several years ago I got this program called Virtuagirl that puts girls who dance and strip on your desktop. The program was free and they gave you a few samples but if you wanted more of the girls, like the ones who strip, you had to join their site for like $19.95 a month.

I recently got OS X Panther and when I went to their site to see if they had one for version X, all it listed was PC OS's. I wrote their customer service and asked if they were going to have one for OS X and they said they had no plans of doing that.

So, what I would like to know is, what all exactly would I have to learn in order to be able to write a program so that the girls can dance on my OSX desktop?

Am I maybe biting off more than I can chew as far as what all I would have to learn?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Eric!

Well, while I've never programmed girls for my desktop, your best bet would probably be to learn a language that supports OpenGL... such as Objective-C, C++, or C, since you're working with OS X. I don't know how tricky Objective-C (or Cocoa as it's called in OS X) is for a new programmer, but I picked up enough to write my program (see sig) in two weeks. I think RealBasic may have OpenGL support... that would probably be less frustrating for a new programmer to learn as it has VisualBasic-like syntax. You can download a demo of it to try it out.

For the actual, program, I'm betting that you just need enough OpenGL to draw to the screen and loop a simple 2D animation.

OpenGL is not needed at all. Actually I think it's overkill. Quartz/CarbonLib has sufficient 2D routines for animation. The programming is not that hard, the difficult part is where to get the content :)

From what I recall, you can create a window without a boarder/frame, so no title bar or the 3 colored buttons in the corner. Might even be able to make the background of the window transparent, so all you see is the girl dancing and it'll look like she's on your desktop instead of trapped in a box. I could do this in Windows programming, never got this far in OSX programming though.

Dancing naked girl is quite a novelty, but you might as well just pop in a pr0n video.

You could always use Konfabulator. There are already a couple of desktop robot widgets out there that you could use as source.

If you're just looking to flip a series of bitmaps onto the screen, or play a quicktime movie, that's pretty basic, programming-wise.

For that matter, if you can just lay your hands on a series of hi-res images of the model of your choice in advancing stages of undress, you could just throw them into a folder and use OSX's 'slideshow' screensaver...

Back