Question about the over all security of OS X

blood

Registered
I work at a studio and Recently our mac mini was stolen from our studio along with other equipment. While replacing the equipment took only more money and some time at sam ash we lost alot of original music, and the owner of the studio suspects a rival group took it, but who knows. But it makes sleeping at night harder knowing some theif has their has on our hard work. hours and hours of it.

So it is my job to secure this new mac we got an imac intel , and I have seen that firmware password is a good choice to use to lock down the system, but it can be reset.

I now on my mac have both jaguar and tiger installed on separate hard dives. One thing I do not like is the fact I can drag and drop files from one OS to another. We would like to protect our data. What is the best way to do this? I hear about file vault nightmares. How good are encrypted sparse image files? Is it safe then file vault?

Also, I have been using OS X for 5 years or so, and I never have used the user accounts, since I was always using my mac. I would like to create a master account for me, as I will be the only one with the password, but give other accounts some, but not alot of privileges.

for example, we will be using fast user switching.

I plan on running security spy for os x

http://www.bensoftware.com/

what I plan to do, if possible, have one master account for me that will be the head admin, one account for the owner for him to admin but not have the privilege to burn cd's without me there or burn files and such. Yet under this account we will be using faster user switching to run security spy in the background. This account will always run in the background running security spy, and then have a audio account where we will be doing most of the work recording and such.

How do I set up the mac for this set up. In the end, I want to be the only one who can burn cd's or transfer files. although we need some privileges for audio to move files around, but not burn or take off the hard drive. also, if someone can just use target mode from another mac and browse the files, how secure can it be?

In a word, create an off-site back up system and you won't have to worry about losing your data again. Possibly a nightly dat tape back up that you can take with you.

As for security, if you set up System Preferences/Accounts/File Vault you have to erase the drive in order to use the computer if you don't know the log in password. It's so good that even the original owner of the drive can't get into it without the password once the password is set.

In a word, create an off-site back up system and you won't have to worry about losing your data again. Possibly a nightly dat tape back up that you can take with you.

As for security, if you set up System Preferences/Accounts/File Vault you have to erase the drive in order to use the computer if you don't know the log in password. It's so good that even the original owner of the drive can't get into it without the password once the password is set.

yes but wouldn't this cripple audio read writes to the drive? Also, I have heard of nightmares with file vault and corruption issues..

Back up tapes only run when you want them to. In your case, set it to run in the morning. ;) I'm a bass player and have recorded many times and I know the cover of night is great for creativity.

I honestly haven't heard much about File Vault, I just set my computer to require log in on start up. Maybe someone else here knows more.

You can encrypt only the data that needs to be encrypted, and avoid total system failures;
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107333

I'd also invest in a computer lock. All macs have a port for them.

You can put a firmware password up and such, but, in the end, you should probably focus on physical security more. OS X is a fairly secure system if you make sure that it's safe physically, and there's probably a lot more than your Mac that can be stolen in a studio.

Back