Question Mark

kerisbf

geez o pete
A friend of mine is having problems with her iBook. When she starts it up, she only gets the disk with the flashing question mark (this means the computer can't find a startup disk, right?)
And of course, our campus help desk is closed today. We tried to figure out what was wrong using the Hardware diagnostic cd, but when the computer tried to load it as a startup disk, we got an error that said "file system map inconsistent"
Then it told us how to temporarily turn off the extensions and try again. Well, we temporarily turned off the extensions, and got the same error message.
We then loaded the System Restore disk with no problems. We would have gone through with a restore, but she is hesitant to lose her files if there is a way around it.

Any idea how we might be able to fix this?

-keris

If you have the OS X installer CD available, boot up from it. Under Install in the menubar is an option Open Disk Utility. Try running its repair routine.
If you know anyone who has the DiskWarrior CD, it is an excellent repair tool for OS X, even though it boots up in OS 9. Try running it if you have it available.
OT - I've been to Marquette many times. I'm originally a native of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Hope you like long winters!

Thanks genghiscohen!

We got it fixed without having to wait around for the helpdesk. Chances are they would have implemented their favorite fix: a reimage.

I do love Marquette. My second year here, and I'm sure there will be many many more!

-keris

Back